Dual Overflow Bean Animal Setup

These are the two ways I can see setting it up:
1615823113417.png

For the second image, since each overflow fills independently, it looks like you'd have a trickle in both emergency drains. I think you'd need to lift the emergency drain to just above the height of the normal water level height in the weirs. .

Last edited:
You would also have very little water movement in the overflow on the right, might get nasty in there.

For the first image, it looks like it'd run just like any overflow with 2 overflow pipes still because each overflow fills independently. Unless you can raise the weir on one of them.

Bottom picture is the correct way for what you want. Make sure the emergency is the larger of the pipes.

You would also have very little water movement in the overflow on the right, might get nasty in there.
I wonder how much this matters. Right now I have the top setup specifically to avoid that. The trouble with having two siphon drains is balancing the gate valves. Tiny changes in back pressure change the noise levels enough for me to notice throughout the day.

Do you clean out the bottoms of built in overflows often? Mine are 30" deep, I haven't seen the bottom of 2 of them in years.

2 returns to tank cut down to full syphon, one each side. then the other is emergency each side. Put nice gate valves on returns, dont cheap out, so you can get it super scary silent. Works like a dream. Plumbing supply store have best gates. Use lots of connector thingies, the name of it escaping me right now, lol. You wont be bummed you didnt put them in.

Do the main siphon on the left with the emergency and do the trickle on the right. There’s always water flowing through the trickle

Do the main siphon on the left with the emergency and do the trickle on the right. There’s always water flowing through the trickle
No, each side should have full syphon and emergence. Full syphon 7 inches below emergency, no need for 90 on pipes. It will be silent.

I run same. But I run two return pumps. That way, flow is the same, no slowing. You can run it off one pump, but I'd be making a chamber dead center in sump so flow is identical returning to tank. Emergency drains can be routed anywhere you want.

Back