Fish goo at July 2004 meeting - help!

Fish Goo Recipe (listing people & what they are bringing)

Ifferfish........ 2 cups Clams (Canned w/juice)
Heavydc2......2 cups Cocktail Shrimp
Lam..............2 cups Scallops
Denvig..........2 cups Squid
KevK.............2 cups Mussles (Grocery Store)
Marco67........Color Enhancing Flake Food
Marco67........Golden Pearls
SherryQ.........Selcon
Mr. Slippery....Vitamin C (liquid)
Nickoz...........Castor Oil
Piscevore.......Reef Vitamin and Mineral Suppliment
Ray...............Garlic
Dima96...........Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs
Starrfish.........1 bag Nori
Reefsmurf.......1 frozen pack Mysis Shrimp
Mr. Slippery.....Ziplock bags
Scuba_Dave....some other fish food: graze & another one
Ba19Ma88.......1 frozen pack Brine Shrimp
Skyedolphan....Blender
Daragon..........Dried Plankton suppliment
Daragon..........1 pkg Cyclopeeze

bgywrinkle or anyone we need:

Rotifer Perls (brineshrimp direct)
Basic Liquid Filter Feeder Food
Granulated Fish Food

Quantity: I think it's best if we have more fresh food for the goo. Bring 2 cups worth or more if you can.

Attachments

• Liquid vitamin C.jpg
    Liquid vitamin C.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 287
Wouldn't this (Piscevore.......Reef Vitamin and Mineral Suppliment) take care of the vitamin thing? How would the fish get the liquid C in there systems anyway.
Does anyone even know for sure that this is a good thing to add to the tank?

denvig said:
Wouldn't this (Piscevore.......Reef Vitamin and Mineral Suppliment) take care of the vitamin thing? How would the fish get the liquid C in there systems anyway.
Does anyone even know for sure that this is a good thing to add to the tank?

Good questions. I would imagine that Reef Vitamin and Mineral is not enough according to author/creator of the recipe. I would think that in the blending of the ingredients the liquid vitamin seeps into the goo. Anything that ingests the goo will in turn take the Vitamin. I'll do some digging on RC regarding how good it is to add to the tank. I can't imagine it doing any harm. Better yet, you can since you asked. Let us know what you find :)

Taken from Wetwebmedia
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/vitaminmarfaqs.htm

Interesting about the drop in PH. I'm not sure it's something we need or want because we are already adding the Selcon and Reef Vitamins along with one hell of a variety of great foods. What does everyone think?

"Marine-C
I was reading over the Daily FAQ and I noticed this question. What jumped out at me was that he did not list pH and that he was supplementing with vitamin C. When we used the Ken vit C product in our tank to combat HLLE in a bicolor blenny, we noticed a fairly rapid drop in kH and pH (it is ascorbic acid :-/). It might be worth testing the pH to see if it is fluctuating or just chronically low. Just a thought, Laura
<Thank you for this... Vitamin C is otherwise known as Ascorbic acid... but is not really a "strong" acid, nor the amounts folks might add to marine (or even a well-buffered freshwater) system alter the pH noticeably. Surprising. Maybe the Kent product has some other acidic "carrier". Bob Fenner>

Marine-C
Hmmm . . . Double-checked the package (it was still hiding underneath the aquarium amidst the dust) and the only listed ingredient is ascorbic acid at a concentration of 1250 mg/oz and it recommends 1 ml/50 gallons of water. It does, however, include a warning about monitoring the pH and alkalinity.
<Curious>
Might be something to write the manufacturer about. It dropped our pH from 8.2 to 7.8 (the only other supplement being used at the time was straight liquid calcium). Our favorite fish guy at the LFS said that someone else had experienced a similar drop after using the same product. I might just e-mail Kent this afternoon and see what they say. Would you be interested in the reply if I get around to it?
<Please do send this to us for posting. Thank you, Bob Fenner>
Laura"

bgywrinkle said:
Got the granulated food. -- Is Basic Liquid Filter Feeder Food(BLFFF) like DT's Phyto?

Don

I think that qualifies.

Mr. Slippery said:
I can't find the vitamin c anywhere I tried like 5 diff. places with no luck.

Matt, don't sweat it. We'll try and get by without it. Denvig posted some concerns about that component anyhow. A+ for effort!

The wife put the blender "somewhere", Dawn did you say you have a blender that can be used?
Still looking......

So glad we found teh blender. We started to use it to make the goo & it started SMOKING after about 5 minutes!! Glad we had some other blenders there. I think we made approx 20 bags og goo.
Someone brought a bag of sample food packs? I ended up with it, let me know

oh well if you find the white blender I left, consider it a donation to the club, it can be used for future fish goo makings. maybe it can be an addition to the library.

I think Karl may have said it best about making the goo. the one thing I was saying was that we should leave some chunks in it, not all pureed. What Karl said was that some people want to feed their sps with it, which is why the puree is better. I don't have any sps, just lps, anemones, fish, inverts so I like the chunks because they get eaten.

One other thought was that we could have left the shells on the shrimp, something would have eaten them. I tend to try to feed everything from the fish to the coral to the bristles, to the shrimp so it made sense, but I could totally be wrong. Any thoughts for future fish goo making?

I'm going to be adding some stuff to mine before I freeze it.
We came home to find the freezer door partially open.....not totally thawed out. But fridge must have been running full blast for 8+ hours

Just got home and wanted to say I have 4 extra bags. I was distributing the bags when warned to run for cover. They're throwing people into the pool!!!

I gave Scott Merrill and Dawn both a bag. Now I have 2 left. Did anyone NOT get a bag??

I think it was KevinK that brought the clams??? He had to leave early so we should get a bag to him

Lam ran for cover....Lam was on the lam....

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back