Fish goo at July 2004 meeting - help!

KevinK,

I will save you a bag. It should stay good in the freezer til I get it to you. Get in touch with me. That leaves one bag remaining. Who needs it or want it?

Hi gang,

I had fun learning how to make fish goo. Some points I want to make:

denvig said:
Interesting about the drop in PH. I'm not sure it's something we need or want because we are already adding the Selcon and Reef Vitamins along with one hell of a variety of great foods. What does everyone think?

I think that ascorbic acid aka vitamin C is a rather weak acid. The pH change would be minimal and short dependent on quantitiy of ascorbic acid added and alkilinity of the tank.

We've added vitamin C to the last 2 fish goo events and neither has had any impact on my tank.

heavydc2 said:
I think Karl may have said it best about making the goo. the one thing I was saying was that we should leave some chunks in it, not all pureed. What Karl said was that some people want to feed their sps with it, which is why the puree is better. I don't have any sps, just lps, anemones, fish, inverts so I like the chunks because they get eaten.

Something else I didn't think about and learned from this event. I have an sps dominated tank, thus was in favor of semi-puree (small chunks are fine as long as they're big enough for fish to swallow). I have predominantly herbivores and very limited hermits. (I prefer snails over hermits.) I don't have an anemone.

However, I totally see your point Dave about leaving chunks in your goo for systems similar to yours. I had to chop up goo from the last event so I don't mind continuing to do that - although I had questioned why there were so many big chunks. Now I understand why.

heavydc2 said:
One other thought was that we could have left the shells on the shrimp, something would have eaten them. I tend to try to feed everything from the fish to the coral to the bristles, to the shrimp so it made sense, but I could totally be wrong.

I agree, shells are fine to leave in the goo. It does get eaten. Ever guess where the shells go when your shrimps moult?

I don't believe in activelyfeeding bristle worms. I'm sure they'll find left overs without helping. The smaller the bristle worms the better. So far from my feeding regimen, I've kept the fish/inverts/corals happy without increasing bristle worm size. They tend to get big from heavy feedings.

Scuba_Dave said:
I'm going to be adding some stuff to mine before I freeze it.

What are you adding? :)

karl wagner said:
This fish goo needs some flake food.

I don't remember handing you a bag! :p

If it is still unclaimed I'll take it I had to leave before the goo was done.

Thansk
Bruce & Marcy

Last bag is now claimed. Please tell me how you want to pick it up.

In Summary, I think it's rather tough to accommodate everyone's unique system. I'm curious how pureed the goo is. I'll find out tonight. :) Anyone else has a thought on this? I think it went fine and all seemed happy.

Last edited:
Back