fragging Favia/acan? whichever Help

skyedolphan

Non-member
? I have a favia (I think )have had it app.2 years in is a neon green but the past month it seems to be having some issue I have some skeletal area showing and am wondering if the need arises how would I or can I frag this coralso I do not loss the whole thing ? Any help greatly appreciated Thank You

Cut it and swish it around in clean water to get rid of all the crap from cutting, it put it back in the tank clean and you shouldn't have any issue's.
microcut2.sized.jpg

That take a whole lots of balls.

BTW do you have an extra piece of that ugly coral you're hacking up:).

Dawn I hav'nt forgotten picture will be sent By Monday ....SORRY>

Richard said:
That take a whole lots of balls.

BTW do you have an extra piece of that ugly coral you're hacking up:).
Yes, big balls...

Yeah right I'm poor, that one piece is worth thousand's to some people...

they are all collected without permits.
thats why its so much $$$$. once the permits are granted the price will drop.

LOL Robbo well I have been told many a times that I have big balls to say and do the things I say and do to people I am very open about speaking my mind when I feel the need to and alot of " higher ups" feel like I should shut my mouth

I am very scared to do this as stated I have had this piece a long time and it is one of my favs and me having no clue what it is thought it was favia someone came over and freaked that I had a beautiful acan told them umm nope favia they say nope acan cant find a good siteto id but he is getting to look pretty bad and I would like to save as much of him as I can

Before the craze almost all Acan's were sold as favia. I know Bec has fragged her echinata she might be the one to ask...

I Speak!

Thanks Jango. I have fragged a little bit of everything by this time, including my Favia, and several Acans of the Lordowensis and echinata varieties. Dawn - If you post a photo I'll give you my 2 cents on an i.d... which can be really tough. Jango is right, they were ALL sold as favia before the recent craze. I would love to see the piece you're talking about.

All of the advice has been accurate. I would only add that using a dremel (with a clean, new bit) to make an initial scoring in the area you eventually slam with a hammer and chisel (also very clean to prevent infection) is your best bet. That way you've already cleanly cut the tissue and created a fissure to absorb the final impact.

It's not a big deal at all. It just takes a little care and forethought, which usually doesn't come with a side of balls. :)

b

450.jpg

here is a pic of it a few months ago I am trying to get a decent pic of it now but am afraid to disturb it too much

Hey Dawn -

I would agree with you... Favia all the way. Nice ones too!
Is the first one the coral you want to frag? You're definitely going to
lose/damage some polyps... but that's always the case when fragging LPS with
closely knit coralites. It'll be fine though. Take a deep breath and go for it!

b

Go for it, cut away. Just be certain to keep in good flow after cutting until the coral heals.

Back