Frozen Food Rinse?

BigBabich

Non-member
Do you rinse/clean your frozen food before putting it in the tank?
Someone at a local LFS says to do this, I'm getting contradictory info on it in my "research*".
Just wondering if you do bother doing it.

I think it depends on your nutrient level. If you're looking to add some nutrients to the tank just put in a frozen cube. I currently use a frozen food defroster. I add some RODI water to defrost the food, dump the water and then into the tank. It removes some of the unwanted nutrients but not all of them. the tiny bits feed my coral and it can process any excess.

Do you rinse/clean your frozen food before putting it in the tank?
Someone at a local LFS says to do this, I'm getting contradictory info on it in my "research*".
Just wondering if you do bother doing it.
I do not rinse my frozen food. I normally let it defrost in a cup with reed roids. Then target feed with the combination of the two.

I do not rinse. Like previously mentioned if I were dealing with high nutrients, especially phosphate, then I would probably rinse

I thaw mine in a small cup with tank water. Scoop up with a spoon to feed the fish then spot feed the rest to the corals.

I don't rinse. IME it's not needed. Dried foods often contain significantly more phosphates etc. than frozen foods so if that's your issue/concern, I'd first focus effort on reviewing any dry foods used before wasting time rinsing frozen foods.

I thaw mine in a cup and keep in fridge over a few days. When feeding...Ill scoop a little out and feed but leave the juices till the end and then ill drain off the water and feed remaining.

Years ago we were mostly trying to manage nuisance algae by starving tanks of nutrients. Husbandry and thinking have evolved a lot. These days it’s probably more common to be struggling to keep nutrients up (not down).

I used to rinse, now I don’t.

Back