Glass frag tank Build

1 question

are you inserting the silicone from both side or just from one, if one what side , and should you tape around the crevice on insder and out

thanks

the silicone is pumped from the inside.
You only need to tape from the inside.The silicone will only just make it though,then you just go along with your finger tip to smooth the silicone into the recess left from bevelling the glass.

the silicone is pumped from the inside.
You only need to tape from the inside.The silicone will only just make it though,then you just go along with your finger tip to smooth the silicone into the recess left from bevelling the glass.
Are you making sure that the silicon squeezes through to the outside? Or is this done by running your finger along the bead, which forces it through? I'm really tempted to try doing this myself... You have inspired me!

Are you making sure that the silicon squeezes through to the outside? Or is this done by running your finger along the bead, which forces it through? I'm really tempted to try doing this myself... You have inspired me!

the silicone makes it through to the outside under the pressure from the nozzle.
i then smeared with my finger on the outside ,to level the silicone that oozed through. I will try to get a clearer picture,its hard to explain.
and don't let me inspire you until i am sure it holds water:D

don't let me inspire you until i am sure it holds water

Well I should rephrase and say you've got me on the edge of my seat... I was going to wait for the update on whether it held or not.

You going to test it out for a while with water before adding anything? Just to make sure nothing decides to slowly leak or just one day let loose?

Well I should rephrase and say you've got me on the edge of my seat... I was going to wait for the update on whether it held or not.

You going to test it out for a while with water before adding anything? Just to make sure nothing decides to slowly leak or just one day let loose?

i will fill the tank with ro/di for a day or two,monitor and then add the salt.
There will be no live rock or sand in this tank so hopefully it should be clear for adding corals in a week or so after filling.

Here is a little better pic of the silicone from the outside,hopefully you can see what i am trying to describe.
sorry its so dark,its tough to get a good pic with the low light in this room.
The line of silicone at the top is on the inside of the tank.
the line below the refraction of the glass is the filled and smoothed bevel on the outside.

Attachments

• DSC_2408 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_2408 (Medium).JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 723
here is the putty knike i modified,the left hand corner was actually too wide of a radius but the rh was just right.

Attachments

• DSC_2402 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_2402 (Medium).JPG
    44 KB · Views: 737
Looking good bud,
I love the way you need macro shots with sub titles to find the silicone work :)

and don't let me inspire you until i am sure it holds water

I was going to wait for the update on whether it held or not.

Couple of sissies... :rolleyes: :p

I said this to Liam the other day, and I will say it again here, the guys who do this for a living aren't magicians or anything, no witchcraft is required to make a tank hold water. Just be sure to do your homework before tackling a job like this and you will be fine. If you have trouble plumbing a sump, or building a stand, then perhaps this isn't for you, but if you are reasonably handy, and you are not a "slap it together" kind of person, then you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Bear in mind, none of this makes you sleep any better that first night, but where is your sense of adventure? Sweet dreams Liam. ;) :D

Couple of sissies... :rolleyes: :p

I said this to Liam the other day, and I will say it again here, the guys who do this for a living aren't magicians or anything, no witchcraft is required to make a tank hold water. Just be sure to do your homework before tackling a job like this and you will be fine. If you have trouble plumbing a sump, or building a stand, then perhaps this isn't for you, but if you are reasonably handy, and you are not a "slap it together" kind of person, then you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Bear in mind, none of this makes you sleep any better that first night, but where is your sense of adventure? Sweet dreams Liam. :D

at least if mine lets go it will only be 35 gallons or so.Not 560 :D

Nice job on the tank. I would love to build my own tank, but I would have to get the go ahead from my girlfriend :eek: I built our pythons home so she knows I'm not incompetent...but every time I bring up upgrading to a larger tank...wooo boy that doesn't go over well. Any tips on how to convince her into a larger tank? I know some of you guys must have had this problem.

Nice job on the tank. I would love to build my own tank, but I would have to get the go ahead from my girlfriend :eek: I built our pythons home so she knows I'm not incompetent...but every time I bring up upgrading to a larger tank...wooo boy that doesn't go over well. Any tips on how to convince her into a larger tank? I know some of you guys must have had this problem.

Haven't had that problem. I get hassled about getting a larger tank, as that's what she wants!

Just don't piss her off and end up like this guy...
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1292863

HOLY COW.....man that would suck.

Jen loves the tank way to much for that, just not ready yet to get a larger tank.

at least if mine lets go it will only be 35 gallons or so.Not 560 :D

Where's the thread to Daves build? Does he have any pics of the finished product?

Oh & BTW.....Once you've had a larger volume tank leak you would refrain from using the word sissy!!!:p I know....I've been there!!! 155 bow sprung a leak on the bottom seal @ 11:30 on a Sunday night..... Just sitting on my recliner when the pumps went silent & some of the lights kicked off.... WTF(water in the circut tripped the GFCI) ...{that is a must for all reefers to have ....water & AC don't mix well!!!}

The house sounded weird all silent without the pump hum... (I had a big tank for over 10 years at that point in the home so the noise was normal)

I worked till 5:30 am transfering all the livestock into a Rubbermaid aggie tub. It was very very sad & stressful...I kinda think it has damaged me from building my own...Although if I had my tank of choice it would be a double bow viewed on all sides...(don't think anyone is going to tackle that on the DIY side....) unless they have a very large oven!!!!
Just the same....Send me a link if there is one, Dave.....Sorry for the hijack L

Last edited:
Back