Reef Deal glasscages.com in boston

B.rian

i would rather be diving
i just saw on their website that they will be in boston on june 3 (or around this date) for a delivery only visit. i didn't know if this was the right forum, but i figured people could save some gas money by picking up at this event since it will be close.

$400 bucks plus all the other money it would cost to setup another tank such as sand rocks skimmer lights, etc. i have enough for a tank and maybe a stand, but then i would need all of the other stuff too.

zensaiyan said:
$400 bucks plus all the other money it would cost to setup another tank such as sand rocks skimmer lights, etc. i have enough for a tank and maybe a stand, but then i would need all of the other stuff too.

I going to replace my old 180 gallon someday, someday I suppose

man if i had know this i would have never went to White Plains last week end. The tank looks so good, i would think about getting another one from them.

so i was thinking about getting the 95g wide tank that they have on their site, but i calculated the dimensions given and it is only a 84.7 gallon tank!! am i missing something here? the tank is 48x24x17.

They use "displacement" instead of "inside volumn". Looks like time to order my dream tank.

has anyone bought an acrylic tank from these people? i am debating buy a 90g acrylic from them. the pictures of the acrylics don't look that nice though, they look like glass tanks. they don't have rounded corners, they have black trims, etc. i also can't figure out how much RR would be. i guess i will have to contact for that. has anyone bought a stand from them? are they nice? are they already water proofed, or do you need to do that before/after you stain it?

I bought one of their acrylic tanks to use as a sump and it's a piece of junk. It's very poor quality overall. It's not made from decent acrylic (not even sure what it is) and it leaks at the seems.

Even without the leaks its nothing I would ever use as a show tank.

jay, did you buy an actual tank from them, or a sump tank? are the corners rounded? i just saw a post of a 65g tank it the corners are rounded. how big of a tank is it?

any other opinions on acrylic tanks from glasscages?

zensaiyan said:
so i was thinking about getting the 95g wide tank that they have on their site, but i calculated the dimensions given and it is only a 84.7 gallon tank!! am i missing something here? the tank is 48x24x17.

They use "displacement" instead of "inside volume"

External measurements should equal the advertised tank volume
iIf it doesn't, then no matter how you cut it, it's false advertising
Perhaps they are using the internal measurement - but I doubt it
I checked a few others, some were close, one the actual measurements listed equalled 5g over what they advertised
Most Tank mfg's advertise external measurements - so the inside measurements - minus distance from top to water level - is what you would use to calculate the actuall water volume. Usually not a big difference, but in a large 750g tank I looked at the internal measurements meant 650g of water
Accepted values & the way they are advertised - but sort of wrong IMO
Sort of like that 17" monitor that actually is only 16" viewable

maxfischer said:
man if i had know this i would have never went to White Plains last week end. The tank looks so good, i would think about getting another one from them.

Max what size tank did you pickup? Will they drill it for you? What does the center brace look like?

Thanks

It sounds like their quality has gotten much better over the last year or so. I've been to a few reefer's houses recently that had some pretty nice Glass Cages tanks. For example, Musacat has a very nice 300+ gallon that I'd be proud to display.

If I were in the midst of upgrading I'd take advantage of this.

Steve

does anyone who owns a tank from them put the 3/4" foam core underneath the tank? it says that you are supposed to in the warranty section. also, are the acrylic tanks made like glass tanks? do you need to have a stand that supports the entire bottom of the tank, or just the corners and middle?

There is only a 90 day warranty - not very long.

From their web site:
IMPORTANT!!!
**GALLON SIZE OF ALL AQUARIUMS IS APPROXIMATE**

Shipping to & from Great Oaks is NOT included
So a warranty that is almost worthless

You will need a stand that support the whole bottom panel of the arcylic tank. You can go to homedepot and cut a piece of wood board the put the wood board in between the tank and stand.

I will like to buy a 65 gallon long glass tank from them, 48x18x18.

i would definitely like to buy a tank from them. i was thinking about getting an acrylic, but i am skeptical of the quality. i have not heard many first hand experiences either. if i go glass i have in mind either the 90g long 48x18x25, the 95g wide 48x24x17, the 115g 48x18x31, or the 120g 48x24x25. i plan on building my own stand again for this tank. i feel that the 95g is not tall enough since it is only 17", and that the 115g is too tall at 31". i know bigger is better, but it is a tough decision.

i would like to get a new aquarium from this company, but i do not have a vehicle. would anyone be willing to help me pick up a tank? i would be willing to pay for gas and time involved. pick up is in boston and i live in boston, so it would not be a far transport. it will be a 4'x18" tank, either a 90 or 115. i know i am asking like a month in advance, but i need to make sure that i will be able to pick up the tank. thanks everyone!

Back