Got Corals from Nate?

Nate, alternatively if what you say is true (I doubt it) then removing all of your acros and dipping like crazy will not even work. If the worms can live without food for as long as a year then it is impossible to conclusively prove that any tank is AEFW free, even the ones whose owners removed all the acros and either dipped them in Levamisole or threw them out. That means no one can claim that they are FW free and no one should trade.

Worms, worms, worms

I thought you already tested this and came to the conlcusion that the worms will die in days without acro-tissue for food, no?

One Eye said:
Chuck, really, I'm not making this up. They can and have and do go undetected for many months before showing up.

Can someone that has these pest please give me an infected frag or 2 so I can photograph the life cycle?

actually this was what I was thinking along the way. inconclusive at best. but since I chimed in; those that are trading LPS should declare AEFW regardless of the circumstances; regardless if you think the buyer is only tending LPS. Those trading SPS with these should be shot and quartered.

Chuck Spyropulos said:
I doubt that the AEFWs can live in your tank for a year and survive without eating. The problem with your hypothesis is that you are assuming that the people you traded with did not get corals anywhere else. You are ignoring the fact that their flatworms could have come from another source. Maybe you never had the AEFWs at all. The fact that someone you gave a coral to now has flatworms is not conclusive proof that they came from your tank. In fact, the evidence suggests you never had flatworms to begin with, since all your corals looked good and you found no eggs.

Chuck Spyropulos said:
I thought you already tested this and came to the conlcusion that the worms will die in days without acro-tissue for food, no?

Yes, 5 to 7 days, but I'd like to try it again.

One Eye said:
Why do you believe that your acros will eventually die?
Because everything will die, law of nature. Simple as that.

Shot and Quartered...Yes!!!!!

Does that include the shop that sold me AEFW infested corals (Shop name removed, in previous discussions with Chuck it was clear that he could not actually be certain where he originally acquired the infestation...not fair to name the shop - edit by Greg Hiller)
)?:D Shouldn't we hold shops, including BRS sponsors, to the same accountability level as reefers and boycott all acro sales unless they treat and quarantine their corals?

Well, we better, because trading or selling within the club represents only a portion of the available corals. There are also new corals coming into the local stock through irresponsible LFS and online vendors as well.

Yaktop said:
actually this was what I was thinking along the way. inconclusive at best. but since I chimed in; those that are trading LPS should declare AEFW regardless of the circumstances; regardless if you think the buyer is only tending LPS. Those trading SPS with these should be shot and quartered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray said:
I wish I knew of a wholesaler that would treat them before shipping them that would sure save alot of time and money on this end.

If the wholesaler does that, your cost will be skyrocketed.

as soon as I find them on another coral they are yours. I just fw dipped another coral I didn't like but nothing.

Chuck Spyropulos said:
Does that include the shop that sold me AEFW infested corals? Shouldn't we hold shops, including BRS sponsors, to the same accountability level as reefers and boycott all acro sales unless they treat and quarantine their corals?

Well, we better, because trading or selling within the club represents only a portion of the available corals. There are also new corals coming into the local stock through irresponsible LFS and online vendors as well.

knowingly selling these is a matter of decency. just because others have no respect does that mean you shouldnt. the "I might as well because others do" is not gonna get you through the pearly gates.

Last edited by a moderator:
dz6t said:
If the wholesaler does that, your cost will be skyrocketed.
actually some on line retailers are beginning to treat their tanks for red bugs and FW's. We all should ask them before purchasing what their treatments are, might surpise you. But you are right the majority are not.

ok here is a funny experience i recently had at petco in plymouth.... theyre frag tanks are loaded....and i mean loaded with planaria(sp) flatworms so i ask their top saltwater guy there if he realised he had flatworms.....he tells me oh no theyre not flatworms their baby snails that havent grown their shells yet.....i didnt say this but i was thinking are you friggin serious....

Huh?

What's with the attitude? I never said or inferred: "I might as well because others do". You are the one who made that quote in your reply. What I DID say, in response to another post, was that we should hold the retailers to the same high standard as fellow reefers. Your reply doesn't even relate the point I made in the post you replied to.

Yaktop said:
knowingly selling these is a matter of decency. just because others have no respect does that mean you shouldnt. the "I might as well because others do" is not gonna get you through the pearly gates.

Chuck, I do acknowledge that I may never have had the worms. No way to really tell. But I know at least one or two worms were in my tank in June, and since then I didn't find any more. But I never said they lasted a year without eating. I said they might have lasted 10 months without growing to a visible population.

Chuck I think he was just saying the I might as well attitude in general but not directing it at you.

What?

I don't think so, not that I care. If it was a generfal comment he would not have attached my post to his reply. No big deal....I just wanted to set him straight while he was preaching.

Ray said:
Chuck I think he was just saying the I might as well attitude in general but not directing it at you.

I see it could go eather way.

On another note....how goes the ozone battle? You get your ORP calibrated?

Hi Nate

I see your point now but I do not believe that the AEFWs could last 10 months in a tank without being visible. But, you could be right....no one really knows for sure, absolutely, positively, 100%. I hope and pray that this is not the case since it would make getting rid of these things even tougher.

NateHanson said:
Chuck, I do acknowledge that I may never have had the worms. No way to really tell. But I know at least one or two worms were in my tank in June, and since then I didn't find any more. But I never said they lasted a year without eating. I said they might have lasted 10 months without growing to a visible population.

Chuck Spyropulos said:
I see your point now but I do not believe that the AEFWs could last 10 months in a tank without being visible. But, you could be right....no one really knows for sure, absolutely, positively, 100%.

Yep, we definitely don't have all the facts at this point. We're certainly getting there though. We're in much better shape than we were just 6 months ago, when we didn't have any treatments yet.

Back