Got my LEDs!

reefkeeper2

BRS Member
After much looking and research and waiting for months for backordered lights, I finally got my new LED lighting. It took me an entire day to disassemble the old lights and put these up. I have to say, it was worth waiting for and looks better than I could have hoped. Here is a couple of pics. These are the AI Sol Blue LEDs. I am running them at 50% capacity as they are so much more intense than the metal halides they replaced.

Attachments

• mini-IMG_2764.JPG
    mini-IMG_2764.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,004
  • mini-IMG_2763.JPG
    mini-IMG_2763.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 999
that is a beatiful tank.was it a tank of the month on reef central.
are you happy with the color from the leds

More than happy. I've had a few friends over and everyone is shocked the look is so different. Most of the zoas glow like they are electrified. It is very hard to describe the different look. Needs to be seen in person.

Just when I thought your aquarium couldn't get more stunning! Truly amazing, well done sir. By the way, what kind of light spread are you getting off of the AI's? Do they look too spot-light-y in person?

They are 11 inches from the water surface and I don't see any spotlighting. The entire tank seems well lit, much better than my other setup with no shading on the sand at the edges.
The next meeting is in Bridgewater on the 12th. All are welcome to come take a look at them.

I was at the shop when they came in and greg was testing one of his over the tank, they are amazing. I was sold the second i saw them in action, thank god i only need to buy two. They really do make everything glow and make your tank look really sharp man, good buy.

They are 11 inches from the water surface and I don't see any spotlighting. The entire tank seems well lit, much better than my other setup with no shading on the sand at the edges.
The next meeting is in Bridgewater on the 12th. All are welcome to come take a look at them.

Now I think I'll find a way to go to the meeting this month, and take a side trip to see your new lights.
Looks great, Paul. Gotta see them in person, and love to see them at 100%.

I'm guessing watt consumption is lower than with MH?
Replacement cost must be lower?

PAR the same or better?

Paul,
I never thanked you for the best compliment I ever received on my tank. (Reef Central post #1094 http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1841197&page=44) It means a lot coming from someone with an amazing tank like yours. I'm sure there are no words that can explain what your tank looks like with the new LED without seeing it in person. It looks very clean and I'm sure you have room to work in that amazing ecosystem of yours now. Can't wait to see it in person!

Ronnie

Now I think I'll find a way to go to the meeting this month, and take a side trip to see your new lights.
Looks great, Paul. Gotta see them in person, and love to see them at 100%.

I'm guessing watt consumption is lower than with MH?
Replacement cost must be lower?

PAR the same or better?
Hey thanks everyone! I felt like a kid at Christmas when I got these. I'm still playing with the settings. Havn't got to the moon phases or lightning storms yet.
Wattage is less than half of what the metal halide/T5 combo used. There should be no replacement cost for a decade, but time will tell if that claim holds true. As for par, it will take me a few months to acclimate my corals to the full brightness of these units. Ronnie let me use his lux meter, and I found that 50% intensity is about a match for the brightness of my old halides. You have to be careful as the light is deceptive. Many people have bleached their corals.
Ronnie, your very welcome and the compliment was well deserved. It was your beautiful tank that inspired me to take the plunge.

Aloha Paul, the first time I saw your tank in TOM I fell off my chair in amazment, this time I needed a defibrillator to get my heart started again. Your reef and system is something of dreams, a inspiration to beginners such as myself and a unattainable goal to aspire too. Mahalo for the pics and will definetly come to meeting so I can swing by and see this 9th wonder of the world if the invitation is still open. Eric S.

Back