Got my LEDs!

Ok paul I just want to say I hate you lol j/k looks great I played with the ones greg has and they look like the same ones and WOW did I love them but I just don't have the money right now. But it looks like you have 3 tomany so ill be over to take them off your hands lol. Good job nice and clean prob let's more nat light in to

There are two screws at the top of each unit. Basically you can attach them to anything you want. I would try to keep the tops as open as you can though for cooling. I didn't use their rail system. I used shelf brackets from home depot. AI also sells a bottom leg configuration type mounting setup. I have heard complaints about it being too low however.

Great,thanks for the info.
One more question.
I understand these come with a controller?

Yup, just one controller for all ten units.
PJ your right, a lot more sunlight gets through without all the fixtures that used to hang up there.

I understand these come with a controller?

Bob

You just need to check with where you are buying it from, I know that ReefGeek has them as systems with controller. I have been looking at them also but I think I am going to be doing a DIY build instead in a month or two before my bulbs need to be replaced. I know that Premium Aquatics also carries them as a system, AquaCave does not they sell the modules and controller separate.

have you noticed how much more your heaters run now? was thinking you proberly are running the heaters while lights are on now too. with my halides for at least 7 months a year when my lights are on they maintain the water temp and no chiller goes on at all.

Thanks,Matt.
I was looking at them on Aquacave web site.
That's why I wasn't clear on the controller.

After seeing them in person I was sold. I put a pair of blues over a 36x36x24" cube. LOVE THEM!!!!!
2 is not enough if you want full coverage, but I wanted a spot light effect over black sand so it works great for me.

I am not in love with the stock AI rail system. You cannot tighten down the screws with thier configuration so the lights are loose on the rack. If you tap your own angle iron or used an aftermarket alternative as Paul has done you will be able to more adequately secure the lights mounted.

A word of caution, even if you had previously intense MH lighting... it will burn the CRAP out of your corals if you are not careful. I set mine up, then had to go away for a week. Mistake. I had my light cycle approx as follows (18" high over 24" of water)...
11am-12pm 20%B, 20%RB, 0%W. 45 min ramp up
12pm - 5pm 75%B, 40%RB, 100%W 45 min Ramp up
5pm - 8:30pm 50%B, 30%RB, 75%W 30 min ramp up
8:30-10pm 30%B, 30%RB, 10%W 30 min ramp up
10PM 2%B, 0%RB, 0%W with Lunar cycle on, 30min ramp up/down.

That 5 hours of intense light NUKED my tank. Lost everything but a few soft corals that could cover up and my RBTA who just moved down under a rock.
I have now dialed back the lighting for 3-4 weeks of almost half that and things are happy and responding. The Blue spectrum is dangerous I think if you don;t pay attention to it. Seems like you need a lot more light, but you don't.

While expensive, so far now that I know better after the loss, I am very happy with the lights and the control I can get over the times and %'s.

have you noticed how much more your heaters run now? was thinking you proberly are running the heaters while lights are on now too. with my halides for at least 7 months a year when my lights are on they maintain the water temp and no chiller goes on at all.

I did some serious insulating of the entire sump and of exposed pipes. I covered everything I could. I built covers for the top of the tank using replacement window screen frames and plastic window film. I only put these on at night. It keeps the heat in but lets me use the AI moonlight features. So far with a reduction in my electric bill of $70.00, I am very happy with the results.

Here is an update at the six month mark. I cleaned a lot of stuff out and moved things around. I added many new sps frags because there is now enough light to keep them in areas where I couldn't before. Color and growth have been excellent. You can compare the the new vid to the one when I first got the LEDs. I know a lot of people are on the fence with these. Maybe this will help.
http://www.youtube.com/user/reefkeeper2?feature=chclk

Doesn't get any better than that .. I enjoyed the vid . How big is that clam and how long have you had it ?

Doesn't get any better than that .. I enjoyed the vid . How big is that clam and how long have you had it ?

Thanks! It's about the size of a basketball that's 1/4 shoved into the sand. I hope it doesn't get any bigger. I have had it for about 6 years.

When's then next meeting near your place? I need to see that bad boy in person... Maybe I can manipulate the meeting schedule :p Heck lets just have a meeting at your place :cool:

Paul,

Love your setup.

Would you mind sharing you AI lighting program? I am still dialing mine in and would love a reference point.

Last edited:
When's then next meeting near your place? I need to see that bad boy in person... Maybe I can manipulate the meeting schedule :p Heck lets just have a meeting at your place :cool:
You usually don't have to wait very long for a meeting to be held in Bridgewater,usually every third or fourth month. If your going to be in the area, shoot me a pm. People come over all the time

Back