I think I'm dealing with bryopsis

Hydrogen peroxide dosing/dipping can wreck havoc on sps though, so be careful if you go that route. I'm also dealing with out of control bryopsis in a small tank right now and have decided to just bleach the rock and start over in that tank. Good luck!

I dose hydrogen peroxide on a daily basis and it has never caused any problems with my sps or any other coral. The only problem I ever had with dosing it is my fern calupaur died but all my other macro algae were fine. It killed all the bryopsis though as long as you pick it off while you are dosing. I use 10ml a day in about 320g total water volume.

turbo, where did you get calculations on how much to use per gallon? and what kind of hydrogen peroxide?

the peroxide to use is the over the counter 3% H2O2. His dosing is actually a little less than the recommended starting dosage I believe. There are tons of write ups on reef central and nano reef. I believe most people start at 1ml/10gal. I had a small hair algae issue and dosed half that amount and that worked fine. If anything, start with a smaller dosage and work it up.

I agree with Ellabug, in that moderatly high concentrations of Hydrogen perozide will mess up your SPS and likely wont effect the bryopsis

As many people will tell you it depends on the situation, and particularly what type of algae you are dealing with. In my reading/experience, H2O2 works OK for dinos and some hair algae but not much else. Bryopsis is particularly tough, I have a tiny bit on a frag that I got, and I have dipped the whole frag in 50% peroxide/tank water and it keeps coming back, even aver "killing it" on three occasions, I am seeing a few strands poking out again. So good luck.

so i ordered some tech-m and will let everybody know how it goes. it should be here tomorrow and i am dropping my clam off tonight at a temp home until im done treating

Any luck with the bryopsis? I have an infestation in one of my nano tanks, and I'm not sure what to do. I'm leaning towards the tech-m method of removal, but I'm worried about my sps corals. Normally, I try not to use additives in my tanks, but this calls for drastic measures.

i have been dosing daily but i havent reached 1500 ppm yet, at the rate i am going to should be there by the weekend. i havent seen any effect on any corals, inverts or fish yet but i will keep you updated

For what it's worth, there have been few success stories with lettuce nudibranch and bryopsis.

They can be hard to keep if not provided plenty of food, but if your bryopsis is very bad then they might be a viable option.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Here is how I got rid of it. Tech-m for many months, manual removal where possible and I brought in hair algea and let it cover the back wall. The whole process took about a year . The tech-m slowed the growing rate down pretty good. Then I think the hair algea out competed it for the nutrients. From that point it slowly disappeared and hasn't returned in the year since it's been gone. Gets pretty demoralizing after awhile, but stick with it and you will beat it. Also,I did regular water changes. Hope this helps.

That's for the info, I have looked into nudibranch but I haven't bought any yet. I have started slowly use H202 and have seen it brown and start to have micro bubbles. I am hoping these are good signs that it is dying

Sorry about the monti. I just got over monti nudibranchs in the same tank so I don't think they can take another hit. I wonder if it's the magnesium or the H2O2?

I would say it is the Mag. I dose H2O2 everyday and my montis are fine. No matter what you dose to get rid of it you need to pull it off and siphon it out. The dosing just weakens it so it is easy to remove and helps it not grow back. Ideally you need to get rid of its food source to keep it from growing and coming back. Phosphates/Nitrates

I just tested my mag, (I haven't had a chance for 2 days and it is 1750) so I'm to high and will let it drop. Hopefully that will help the bleaching

Check your salinity too. I believe mag has an effect on salinity. It did when I was dosing kent tech m. Also I've accidentally had mine up to almost 1800 with no ill effects. you might have dosed to much to fast. Try to keep it at 1600 for a month while pulling out as much as you can.

O and I have noticed from dosing H202 I do have some micro bubbles on my algae in the tank so it does seem to be attaching

Back