In Basement sump Design

Definately do a seperate tank for the fuge ... Maybe the 29G that you were going to use for a sump.

I am using a GenX for my return, and I am more than satisfied with it. It is on a 72 bow, so very similar in size to your 75

-Brian

Or just partition your sump for a fuge. you can put glass or acrylic dividers into a glass sump, or use buckets inside a stock tank.

You don't have to cover a sump, but it'll help reduce evaporation (if you want to reduce evaporation) and it'll keep your cats out. I've seen people cover their stock tanks with rigid foam insulation boards (used to insulate concrete foundations)

Jill & Brian said:
Definately do a seperate tank for the fuge ... Maybe the 29G that you were going to use for a sump.

I am using a GenX for my return, and I am more than satisfied with it. It is on a 72 bow, so very similar in size to your 75

-Brian

(In case you couldn't tell, I'm all new to this ;)) If I wanted to add the 29g in-line, what is the best way to plumb it in? Come into the larger resoivoir first... which then connects to the 29g sump, then that to the GenX? Or vice versa? Will I need a pump between those two tanks or just large enough pipes to connect them? Obviously the water will be at different levels between them.

Thank you,

-Mike

Rigid foam is a good idea. You can control evaporation this way. In the summer when its hotter, but the air is wetter, take the insulation off to maximize evaporation. When its colder in the winter, and the air is really dry, leave it on to minimize evaporation.

mloebl said:
(In case you couldn't tell, I'm all new to this ;)) If I wanted to add the 29g in-line, what is the best way to plumb it in? Come into the larger resoivoir first... which then connects to the 29g sump, then that to the GenX? Or vice versa? Will I need a pump between those two tanks or just large enough pipes to connect them? Obviously the water will be at different levels between them.

Thank you,

-Mike

You should set it up so that one gravity feeds into the other. Usually people tee-off some of the drain-flow into the refugium, and drill that container, so it drains into the sump. (the majority of your flow still goes directly to the skimmer compartment of the sump). Then the sump is drilled, and has the return pump plumbed to that bulkhead, pushing water back up to the display tank.

Nate

NateHanson said:
You should set it up so that one gravity feeds into the other. Usually people tee-off some of the drain-flow into the refugium, and drill that container, so it drains into the sump. (the majority of your flow still goes directly to the skimmer compartment of the sump). Then the sump is drilled, and has the return pump plumbed to that bulkhead, pushing water back up to the display tank.

Nate

To second what Nate said, you probably do not want all of your return flow going into the fuge, but rather, split off so you get low flow through the fuge, and the rest into the sump. Have the fuge overflow into the sump as well through a drain.

Just bought the sump today...the local Agway had the 100g Rubbermaid stock tank for $89. They had a 150 and 300g, but WAY too big. Need to go back with a friend with a truck to bring it home. Cheaper than I was expecting so have a bit more room in my budget that I thought for this project :)

I guess there is a hot tub pump kit they sell for the 300g, they call it the "Red neck hot tub"... :D

-Mike

Brought home the stock tank last night. :) Now the next question... The 100gallon tub has the built in drain on the bottom of the tank. Is this a standard FPT fitting? If so, any idea what size? I'm thinking of using that for the return pump connection unless someone sees a problem with that.

Thanks,

-Mike

I have *heard* most people plug this and drill their own due to thread mismatches. I have no idea in your case, just repeating something I read.

I'm a big fan of the dolphin pumps. I used to use an Iwaki in my old house for circulation (from the Basement). I now have one of the low RPM dolphins (5600). It provides a lot more flow than I need so I bypass some of it to a refugium in the basement. They are extremely quiet and durable (24 hours of run dry time). Mine has run dry a couple of times and is unaffected.

-Jeremy

Back