MrX's 120G Build

Anyone have any feedback on Hydor Koralia Evolution 1400 powerheads? I was thinking two of these for my tank, perhaps as many as four.

not enough for a 120g reef imo... but everything looks great so far... keep up the good work... following along :)

2 is not enough.i say at least 4 or if u can wing it then 2 mp40.i have 2 1400 and 2 850 in my 55 tank.this addiction gets expensive real fast.

Depending on what you have for corals will help decide the amount of flow you will require. Also the size of your return pump. With my 6' tank I have 2-1400's plus my 2 return heads and I can kick up a major sandstorm depending on how they are pointed.

I'd love to just go ahead and get two MP40s, but the wife would kill me. I can get four of the Evo 1400s for 1/5th the cost of the two MP40s. Just called the LFS in Worcester and I can get the EVO 1400 for $41/ea. (Beats Amazon by $11!) Decision made. :) Worst case I have an extra or two for mixing, frag, whatever.

Picked up a bunch of plumbing stuff today. Not enough to do everything and they didn't have a couple things, but at least I can start dry plumbing and get some ideas of what things will be like going through the wall.

Ok peeps. I picked up some spa flex in Hudson today and am starting to plumb things. I've got some questions:

1) The megaflow directions for installing the bulkheads just say to wet the rubber gasket. Is that enough or should I get some teflon gasket stuff?
2) The directions say not to glue the drain assembly. Should I glue the return pipe (the elbow at the top)? I'm assuming the pipes aren't glued into the bulkheads so you can remove things later if need be; i.e., they are just pushed in tightly.
3) What do I use to go from the bulkhead barbs to the spa flex? What I'm reading is that it's not a good idea to try and put the spa flex over the barbs. (Don't think I could do it anyways... it's damn tight!)
4) The picture below is my (dry) attempt at the return pipe line. I have 4 lines from the tank to the basement: 2x 3/4" return lines (only using one), and 2x 1" drain lines (using both). I need to figure out from the barb(s) to the spa flex:

ReturnTAttempt1.jpg

Is the T- at the bottom going to cause any issues? I'm using the union under the T- just incase.

The bottom of the union would be connected right to one of the return lines (spa flex).

Any input on this part is appreciated. It will also answer the same questions for connecting the drain lines (spa flex) to the barbs there.

5) What type of cement should I use on the spa flex? I have the regular OATEY clear/purple primer pack. I'm reading that I should use WELD-ON or something else. Opinions?

6) On the drain lines I'll be installing BALL VALVES in the stand and down in the basement. Am I missing any other valves, check valves, etc.?

---

Under the tank will be very clean: the T- for the two return lines, two drain lines, and whatever power cords for lights, etc. The four spa flex lines run from the tank/stand through the wall, into the basement, and just past the AC duct-work. From there I will switch over to standard pvc.

I'm open to direction for anything I might be missing. Like, should I make the hole in the wall/floor bigger? It fits the 4 lines now, but what else might I want to run down to the sump in the future?

Thanks all! (Getting excited for some water!)

Well, just went ahead and did the plumbing. Stopped at the LFS and got some tubing/barb adapters and got'er'dun. Not sure, but even with two windows open, I might be stoned right now. ;)

Single return line from the basement T-d to the two returns, two drains to the basement with ball valves. Each "line" has a union:
UnderTankDone1.jpg

UnderTankDone2.jpg

Tank cleaned up, eggcrate in, plumbing done up here:
UnderTankDone3.jpg

Later tonight I'm going to take a stab at setting up the sump baffles (buddy got me some glass cut to size) and then maybe work on getting that plumbed.

Tomorrow the meeting and a visit to the Tauton LFS.

Think about changing that plug socket under the stand to a gfi outlet now. You'll likely be using it for the tank at some point and easier now than when everything is running. better safe than sorry

When plumbing your sump dont forget the ball valve for the return and a check valve. All the spa flex water will need to drain somewhere in the event of an electricity loss, so keep that in mind when placing baffle height.
Coming along nicely :)

Thanks for the feedback.

- GFCI is on my list.
- In regards to the powerheads I am going to go with two Sicce Voyager HP4000 Power Stream Pumps, and a couple light times to alternate the flow (this is based on the meeting and a quick talk with Jake).
- I am thinking of the Hydor Performance 705 Skimmer; should have plenty of "power" for my tank/sump
- No clue what to get for a return pump. Quick guesstimate I'd need something with at least 15' of head. It will be internal to the sump, don't feel like drilling just yet.
- I couldn't find a 3/4" check valve anywhere, nor could I find 3/4" or 1" Wyes
- Got the ball valve and some unions for the basement plumbing

Tomorrow I'll start putting together the sump. Then I'll have a better idea of where to run my plumbing.

The pump could be a hard one. A few years ago when I was doing the same thing, internal pumps that have that kind of head and are not power hogs were not really an option. I went for an external pump in the end.

Ok, sounds like I should just bite the bullet, go external, and drill the sump. Any recommendations on what make/model and where to get it? Do HD/Lowes sell these?

Reeflow, Pan World off the top of my head. There are some very efficient newer ones out there that have impressive head gains.
HD/Lowes (I beleive) do not sell these, very specific to the aquarium trade.
Look through the "Equipment For Sale" thread, always some for sale.

Looks like the Reeflo HammerHead Hybrid will do everything I need and more. ~250w with the Barracuda insert and at 16ft it's 2400gph (assuming I am reading everything right). So at that levels I'd be looking at 16x turnover per hour (2400 / (120 + 30) = 16). Plus whatever I get in the tank with the two Sicce Voyagers.

don't remember the maximum flow an all-glass megaflow overflow can handle of the top of my head but think they are about 600 gph. That is something to consider when selecting a pump.

Correct with the 600gph.
He has two of them.
May have to throttle it back with a ball valve so your not overflowing your display tank (as we spoke about earlier). A higher rated pump throttled back should provide better effieciency.

Back