My 210g Build Questions

Technorch

BRS Member
I will be upgrading to a 210 in the next couple of weeks. I will be using a 55g as sump/fuge. I just bought all the plumbing from durso standpipes and everything (bulkheads and pipes) is already installed.

I need help with the plumbing on how to plan/connect it. I will be using an eheim 1262 as a return.

This is my current plan. Does it seem ok? At the drains, should I add a 90* or a 45* elbows to help with the splashing noise coming from the overflow?

tankplumbing.jpg

why do you have valves on the drains from the display?
also to restrict flow from a return pump it is better to put in a t and have a pipe that just pumps water back into the chamber where the pump is. put a gate valve on that new pipe and the more open it is the less water will go into the display. this way you are never putting back pressure on a magneto driven impeller.

With the gate valves on the drains I was thinking just in case I need reduce the water coming from the display a little.

So the gate valve after the return, would it be better like this?

tankplumbing2.jpg

no not like that like this. i would say it is generally not a good idea to restrict drains. if you want to slow the drain you slow the water going into the display so you dont overflow over the top on to the floor!

tankplumbing2.jpg

I would think about a check valve also. In the event of a power loss you wont drain the display into the sump and flood out. Depending on the return outlet depth, that could be a lotta water.

Oh Ok, now I get it. I currently have a gate valve after my return because the eheim 1262 pushes more water that what my current 125g drains get into the sump. With the new 210, maybe it's enough water into the sump that I won't need the gate valve

I would think about a check valve also. In the event of a power loss you wont drain the display into the sump and flood out. Depending on the return outlet depth, that could be a lotta water.

I left enough space in the sump so in case there's a power outage the water being drained into the sump will not reach the top of the sump therefore there won't be a flood. I might add a check valve just in case as well. Thanks!

Yeah, (2) 45's will lessen the water turbulence and decrease noise.

Sounds good. That will definitely help!

have you thought about the weight of a 210 gallon tank on the floor?

The floor is a wooden floor sitting over concrete floor. I'm going to be building a small soft of case where the tank will be sitting on made out of pond liner just in case water drips to the floor

Back