My adventure trying to catch my Blue Damsel

Blueflu1

The Acan Reaper!
Thought this would get a laugh.

So, Last night I decided to try to catch my damsel to move him to the 90. I moved the clown and cardinal a few days ago but had no luck moving the damsel. So I figured I would try again.

I knew that the standard netting wouldnt work. So. I moved all the rock to one side of the tank and tried to get him to the other side. No luck

I then decided I would use a large, clean, plastic cutting board to try to trap him on the side without rocks. Success! I got him on that side. So we tried netting him and he darted through the handle hole on the board and back under the rocks.

So, strategy #3 begins. I got a new, clean baking sheet and tried the same process again. I blocked half the tank, moved all the rock to the other side of the tank AGAIN. I think I finally did it. He is trapped on that side, with no hiding spots! Sweet. Nope, He outsmarted us again. he went over the top of the sheet, in the inch of water that was above the sheet and hid under the rocks again.

At this point, I gave up because I was going to either stress him too much, but more then likely, stress myself too much.

Any good suggestions? My wife read about using a empty juice or soda container, putting food in it and waiting till he goes for it then inverting it. Sounds like it might work.

Figured I would post this because, although I didn't think so last night, It is humorous.

Do a massive water change and catch him while there is only a small amount of water in the tank !!

your welcome ;)

Do a massive water change and catch him while there is only a small amount of water in the tank !!

your welcome ;)

There could be die off and corals out of the water on this, IMO not an option.

I would either use a soda bottle with food in it and an inverted neck (fish trap) or I would try to feed in a specimen container then scoop him out or I would try snagging him in the middle of the night.

Rob, have you ever tried a fish trap? Acclimate (sponser) has a great fish trap, acclimater, bristle trap and a few other uses for it...

Other than that I think just being patient will do it...

Problem is that I wanna use it for a QT tank for future arrivals and If I change out 30 gallons in a 46 tank, then I might as well drain the whole thing. I want that mature water in it. Plus I have shrooms and xenias that are on some of the big rocks and I don't want them out of the water for an extended period of time. And I cant move those rocks to the new tank.
I thought of that though.

your welcome ;)

There could be die off and corals out of the water on this, IMO not an option.

I would either use a soda bottle with food in it and an inverted neck (fish trap) or I would try to feed in a specimen container then scoop him out or I would try snagging him in the middle of the night.

But he said he moved everyhting to one side of the tank. So there cant be too much in there right ?

Rob, have you ever tried a fish trap? Acclimate (sponser) has a great fish trap, acclimater, bristle trap and a few other uses for it...

Other than that I think just being patient will do it...

Thought of that too, but I wanted to see if I could do it for free instead of buying a product for it.

I appreciate the ideas though!

i had luck with putting some mysis at the bottom of a large net and he swam right in maybe a combo of these would work for you

i had luck with putting some mysis at the bottom of a large net and he swam right in maybe a combo of these would work for you

I could try that but the first time I tried to catch him, I did it after feeding him. Now when I feed him, he is on the lookout. He comes out quickly, grabs food and retreats. I swear he is part human. He is learning my tricks. lol

I caught him once to move him to a QT tank, but it was difficult and I think I lucked out that time.

well if all you have is shrooms and xenia on the rocks I wouldnt worry about them being out of water and dying. I used to get shrooms shipped to me from over seas in a bag wrapped in wet newspaper and they did just fine. If you are really worried about them put the rock in a bucket or rubbermaid and drain some water into it then take your fish out and put it all back. Trust me. those 2 corals can be out of water for a while.

well if all you have is shrooms and xenia on the rocks I wouldnt worry about them being out of water and dying. I used to get shrooms shipped to me from over seas in a bag wrapped in wet newspaper and they did just fine. If you are really worried about them put the rock in a bucket or rubbermaid and drain some water into it then take your fish out and put it all back. Trust me. those 2 corals can be out of water for a while.

What about sponges and feather dusters. I have a ton of those too. Can they be out for a while?

sponges no but the feather dusters should be fine for a while, although I have had sponges last out of water that was on rock but it is not something I would recommend doing. I didnt care if they died as they were just ones that grew on the rocks and not ones that I bought. Like I said, if you are worried put the rock in a container and fill it with tank water until you remove the fish, it should only take you a few mins to get the fish out with the rock removed then you can put the rock and water back in the tank.

Also on another note, if you plan on using that tank as a QT tank you might want to take the rock out and add a few different size PVC fittings for the fish to hide in, that way if you have to treat the fish with anything or do hypo salinity you wont have to worry about meds absorbing into the rock if you ever want to use/sell it for a reef tank. Also if you have to do hypo you might have some dye off with the rock and cause spikes in the QT tank

Also on another note, if you plan on using that tank as a QT tank you might want to take the rock out and add a few different size PVC fittings for the fish to hide in, that way if you have to treat the fish with anything or do hypo salinity you wont have to worry about meds absorbing into the rock if you ever want to use/sell it for a reef tank. Also if you have to do hypo you might have some dye off with the rock and cause spikes in the QT tank

+1 on this idea... Sell the rock so you can get more stuff for the new tank!

Also do you want to go through this everytime you want to get a fish out of the QT tank to put in the display

Yea, My plan was to isolate the rock for a while to make sure there is no Aiptasia so I can use it in the new tank. I will be using it as a QT tank for new additions, without hypo. Obviously if someone becomes sick then I need to do hyposalinity then the rock will have to go. I know the critters won't survive the SG drop.

I have a couple of nice scars on my left elbow from trying to catch a damsel and burning it on the MHs

Back