My adventure trying to catch my Blue Damsel

Try trapping it it with a type of bated box. A small plexi container, a flat piece of whatever to cover the top, a small rod to prop the door, and fishing line to pull the prop. I had an issue with a wrasse and had to trap it, took 45minutes and a beer's worth of time. Just bait the trap with some food, and you may have to bait it several times to get the right fish. In the image, the wrasse was checking it out just before going in.
Here's an image, hard to see the fishing line, but the idea is there...
attachment.php

Rob, have you ever tried a fish trap? Acclimate (sponser) has a great fish trap, acclimater, bristle trap and a few other uses for it...

Other than that I think just being patient will do it...

You get an 'A' :). Thanks for the plug.

Wes

You get an 'A' :). Thanks for the plug.

Wes

No need to thank me you have a great product I'm just saying it like it is... When I get funds I need to get one... My crappy ghetto fish trap sucks...

Well when I get extra funds that don't get in the way of coral purchases that is :D

OMG I finally caught my damsel tonight after weeks of trying. I had to get creative. So First, I took some spare plexiglass I had, and I made a box out of it. I routed grooves in three sides so that a thinner piece of plexiglass could slide down into it as a door.

(BTW, would have probably been easier to buy an acclimate)

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
After an hour of sitting there with the box in the tank and holding the door, I realized it wouldn't work. I left it in the tank for him to get used to it but he still wouldn't go after the food in it. So, I put it on the ground and used the plexiglass door and net to block all escape routes so that he had to go into it when I move the rock. Several times he went into it but went right back out. After several moves of the rock around the tank, he finally went into it and i blocked the door with the net. Whoo hoooo. I also used this method to get the remaining shrimp and starfish in the tank.

here they are acclimating

Attachments

• bucket.jpg
    bucket.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 75
2 1/2 hrs later, Success!

Time for a tasty Homebrew!

Attachments

• beer.jpg
    beer.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 73
If you drill a couple holes in the lid and attach a good length of fishing line you can activate the trap from a distance. That's how the AccliMate works. Great job on this! How hard was it to make the grooves with the router?

Wes

Back