Need advice

J-Bucci

Non-member
Hello,
40 Breeder almost ready to go up.
Thinking T5s Dimmable Should I go 4 or 6?
And if anyone knows someone that might have one. Let me know please. Thanks

What're you trying to keep? SPS dominant go with 6 or 8. LPS 4-6, everything else 4 will work just fine.

In my now probably 20+ years of reefing I have learned one valuable lesson and that is don't cheap out it always costs you more in the long run so go with more bulbs which will give you way more color/bulb combinations and it's way easier to dim a 6 bulb combo down if there's too much light than go up in light from a 4 bulb setup..

I also grew SPS in my old 55 with a 4 bulb set up which I know is narrower than a 40 but it was also deeper...

In my now probably 20+ years of reefing I have learned one valuable lesson and that is don't cheap out it always costs you more in the long run so go with more bulbs which will give you way more color/bulb combinations and it's way easier to dim a 6 bulb combo down if there's too much light than go up in light from a 4 bulb setup..

I also grew SPS in my old 55 with a 4 bulb set up which I know is narrower than a 40 but it was also deeper...
I totally agree and I try my hardest not to half azz it. I just bought a ReefBreeder 24v2+ Logan said it’s more than enough power and length. But I truly enjoy the T5 look of the lights. Just really clean & crisp looking. So i’m torn between the two Ugh! Lol
Ok so maybe I should say what I have going up pretty soon
40 Breeder (gonna need help drilling) but I do have everything for it Overflow & all that diamond bits
Built my own Stand. IceCap Gyre 3k,
eshopps Rs-75 sump, sicce 3.0 return, Jebao 4Dosing, 3 Hanna Checkers, Haha I got a lot to start ( I think) I’m doing Fritz Pro Salt,
BareBottom (I hate sand) Black Back, White Bottom
I think that’s it. I do. Have a lot of little other things for feeding corals and all that Like Reef Roids and a bunch of stuff. What you think?

Def more SPS. But def some Hammers & Frog Spawn. I do want some movement and sway in my tank. But def not Zoa or GPS Or that pulsing Zenna stuff.

Definitely go with the reefbreeders man. I was a t5 guy for the longest time back then. Then when I started back up recently I gave the reefbreeders a try and boy I'm glad I did. You definitely can get the look of t5s with this fixture you will just need to play with the setting a little bit. You will be able to keep everything under this fixture as well. I have the 24 inch over my 50 cube that's 20 or 24 inches deep and I'm keeping sps near the sand bed.

Could always run a t5 hybrid to achieve what you want. @Cpage101 has a reef Reefers and t5's over his 120. Hit him up, I'm sure he can tell you all about it.

Could always run a t5 hybrid to achieve what you want. @Cpage101 has a reef Reefers and t5's over his 120. Hit him up, I'm sure he can tell you all about it.

I also have t5s with my reefbreeders. I just don’t run them right now as I think it to much light and until I can get my hands on a par meter I don’t want to burn my coral. I did notice when I was running both my coral was starting to loose color. So I’m going to run just led until I can get the par meter to adjust everything.

Either T5s or LED will grow corals. Supposedly T5s grow coral faster. Acro garden has acros growing under T5s on some tanks and under Reefbreeders photons on other tanks.

Going with all T5 will give the tank a bright, flat look with soft, diffused light, and no shimmer, which some people prefer. The Photon will give the tank darker look with some disco shimmer.

A 40 breeder is 18 inches wide. 2 T5 bulbs side by side are about 6 inches. A 6 bulb T5 fixture would most likely give 100% light coverage and give room to customize the color and spectrum. On 6 bulb fixtures you can usually turn off 1 set of 2 bulbs and 1 set of 4 bulbs separately as well if you don’t want all 6 bulbs on or if you want to have a staggered schedule.

If you go with the Photon and if shading is an issue later on, you could always go with a canopy and add a T5 retro kit for around $125 brand without bulbs or add RB Lumenbar strips.

Back