need good advice and whatever needed to raise soon to come tiger tail seahorse fry

php1775

BRS Member
i really need to find the best way to keep my soon to come tiger tail seahorse fry alive more than a week or two,hopefully get them past those first difficult weeks into healthy juveniles. thank you

i hatched some de-capsulated brine,and tried it out on a single baby that was in my bag when i bought its father.it was eating great,i had the tank at 66 degrees and was using a 25 watt sterilizer off and on feeding the 29 gal seahorse w/refugium tank.had just done a good water change.in the refugium i had a circular tiny mesh tubelike encl(about a 5 inch circumfrence) with a tube coming from the base of it being constantly fed by a jbj submariner w/5 watt sterilizer,and at the bottom i had some tiny hole plastic mesh,to let all the junk out9and small enough to keep the fry in).and at the foundation(4" pvc)i had areas for my clean up crew to get in to eat whatever excess food etc got to fall on the sandbed.i am willing to split whatever lives past the danger period 50/50 with someone who does this with much success and knows what he/she is doing.i'll even deliver them to that person since thats where it happens.the parents are beautiful yellow tiger tail horses,that i just had to have them when i saw how thick and smooth their striped tails are. first time i ever saw that species.check out my 2 movies in the photograpy section titled my 'hungry happy seahorses'its not the clearest but it shows the personality and health.

Last edited:
How long is the pelagic phase for tiger tails? May need to start with rotifers then on to just hatched baby brine. Key is to keep them off the surface until they are old enough to hitch. This requires a kreisel tank - or a tank set up to act like one. Higher temp would be good for the young fry as well - I use 78 F for erectus fry. I've developed a protocol based on a lot of research and my own experimentation and have been fairly successful with erectus - never tried tiger tailed. If you provide an email address I'll send a copy.

thank you Michelle,i dont know much about tiger tails,but i read somewhere that they do not hitch--pat p

i meant 76 degrees,and i think im going to give this another shot with updated info ,and live rotifers etc

Last edited:
got a pleasant surprise thurs morning in my seahorse tank.there were tigertail fry swiming all over the place,impossible to count ,well over 100.i want to thank my fellow reefers for their guidance and expertise

Last edited:
found another batch of tiger tail babies in my tank mon morn,had some rotifer cultures left over from last month and could see them moving around under a microscope at 150x ,but had a difficult time straining the live ones out even with my #53 strainer from florida aqua farms (thank you michelle(kia) for all the info).i guess that the culture had gone bad and i ended up putting a lot of dead rotifers in with the babies.have been doing a partial water change twice every day since and they really seem to be doing great at this point,devouring newly hatched de-capsulated brine just a day and a half since birth. and i also clean the bottom of the bowl whenever anything accumilates with a turkey baster.i was wondering if anyone has tried putting a snail in with the fry to help with the cleanup process

Last edited:
i tried a snail in with the fry and it did a tremendous job of cleaning the sides and bottom of my fry bowl.i took him out after a couple of hours and all he left was one small turd which was so much easier to get with one tiny squeeze of the turkey baster.im sure he would have left much more if i left him in there overnight ,so an hour or two a day seems like the way to go,in my case .

seahorse fry

Hi Michele,

I'm new & enjoy reading the threads here. I've been lucky to have some seahorse fry I'd love to read your notes. Learning this hobby is a true challenge. If you could email any info it would greatly be appreciated.
Thank you,
Michele [email protected]

Just saw this post, hope your baby seahorses are growing. I have a 10 gal kriesel tank and it's quite straightforward to make..LMK if you need pictures of it. I've raised h. Erectus fry over 3 weeks and love seahorses too. Good luck!

Back