New Refugium Question

AC_Rhino

Non-member
I have a new CPR AquaFuge2 Hang-On Refugium filled it with ½ gallon of Carib Sea Mineral Mud, a handful of Chaetomorpha Chaeto Macro Algae, a small live rock, and some red algae balls that were living in my tank. The CPR Aquatic AquaFuge LED runs 24/7 unless someone is sleeping in the room and I put it on a timer.

Green dusty looking algae is building up on the sides of the refugium really fast ... should I scrape it like I scrape the sides of my display tank or should I just watch the world burn and let it grow?

Unless you want to see inside you can leave it until you are ready to prune the growth as to remove the nutrients it contains from your tank and allow room for new growth.

Its the 24/7 light. I'd just cut it down to 12 hours. Personally i run the fuge light, and the display light on the display on opposite schedules. The fuge, its not a algae scrubber, macro algae needs sleep too.

How old is the tank? It sounds like you are in your initial algae phase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How old is the tank? It sounds like you are in your initial algae phase.

the tank has been running since August. The sand and ceramic bio ball stuff in the fluvals have been in place the whole time so I suspect I have a decent bacteria colony.

In my experience the new tank syndrome went away after like 9 months to a year. There are several algae phases that go through. My tank at school just got started in November. I just finished the dinoflagellates phaser and am in the cyanobacteria. I expect another 3-6 months of algae blooms and diatoms now and then.

Back