Opinions on Sohal Tang

Sdeluca10

BRS Member
A Sohal tang has always been one of my favorite fish. I’ve never pulled the trigger and acquired one.
One because of the price, and two because of their known aggressive behavior.
I’m considering spending the money on one IF I can even find one. But looking for others options. I would get it of equal size “ideally” to tangs I currently have. (Powder brown, sailfin, blue hippo). And it would be the last Added addition (of tangs) to the setup.
Does anyone have any personal experience, advice with keeping them?

I have had a few over the years. They get large and get serious attitude problems. Every one I have ever had turns mean. If you already have that many tangs I would expect some serious fighting. What size tank do you have?

That's one of my dream fish to keep. If you have a 200g+ you might able to keep it with 3 other tangs you have. But when it gets bigger than the other tang he will be the boss in your tank. That's when you have to decide which tang gotta go .

I kept one for many years. It was in with a powder blue, a copperband butterfly and an emperor angel, along with many smaller fish. This was in an 8 ft x 3 ft x 30" tank. It fairly quickly became the dominant fish of the tank, but did not seem to overly stress out the other residents. It was a great fish for controlling bubble algae. It really became like a puppy dog. When I was working in the tank it would hover around my hand. If I picked up a rock with any form of bubble algae on it, it would rips it all off within a few seconds. I think it would even nipple on Bryopsis, but I don't think it liked it much. This is a very active fish and would dart from one end of the tank to the other quickly. I think keeping it in anything smaller than a 180 would not really been good for the fish. Mine died when I accepted a fish from someone and did not quarantine the fish. All the large fish in the tank died within a few weeks of the new fish dying.

Back