PH, how high is too high?

Cheddah93

Well known member
Just curious on what everyone’s opinions are for the right ph zone, 8.3-8.4 has always been figured as perfect.

Has anyone experimented with up to 8.6? I tryed it once with alright success but had minor precipitation issues. So I backed it down and have 8.2-8.5 daily and have noticed better success as far as growth with an acro dominant tank.

Is it really any better than a tank kept at say 7.8-8.1?

B1096666-A713-42C4-A061-BF37BF9BCCDE.png

So my thoughts is, if 8.3 is ideal then the flip side of 8.6 would be 8.0. Most reefers would love 8.0 as a low point. Personally I prefer a higher ph but have seen different arguments. I think we may see a speaker at the BRS event that may tackle this.

I will first calibrate the pH probe first, if the probe is over a year old, I would replace it.
Many cases of high or low pH situation I have seen is due to pH probes.

It isn’t a probe issue or anything, just a curiosity question. Wondering if I’m just wasting my time with Kalkwasser and c02 media or not.

I regularly calibrate the probe and I run Kalkwasser and a c02 scrubber on the protein skimmer to combat having low ph due to my calcium reactor.

Last edited:
If you are dosing Kalkwasser, I would skip the CO2 media.
8.6 is very high.
In terms of chemistry, when pH goes up, bicarbonate concentration drops and carbonate concentration rises, it increases calcium carbonate precipitation in the sea water, especially if you alkalinity is on the high side, which may explain why you see minor precipitation issue.

IMO, raising pH above natural sea water level gains very little benefit for coral grows if any. Coral regulate internal pH biologically also.

Back