PVH DIY LED Light Hood for 12 G Nano Cube

pvh

Non-member
So I have a 12 G nanocube with a blown ballast and PC. I decided to use some high power, 3 Watt each, LEDs. I just got some in yesterday and tested it out. This is one crazy bright LED! I just ordered some more so stay tune for the finish product.

Just a sample test.
ff7hnk.jpg

This is with it powered up. I had to adjust the exposure to get this to show. I went blind looking directly at it. Kinda like a mini MH bulb.
2873c5g.jpg

This is what it looks like on the tank. I will be adding more LEDs and blue LEDs.
4l2kj8.jpg

Jeeze, you said it was bright but dang that's bright!!!

:cool:<---need shades to look

i kinda want to do this too..so this is gonna be my learning thread..how much did the LEDs cost you?

great

Great!! Can't wait to see it in action. I've been planning a possible upgrade myself and have been reading all the threads on this type of mod over at nano-reef. Good luck Peter and let us know how it turns out. :)

i kinda want to do this too..so this is gonna be my learning thread..how much did the LEDs cost you?

That one gives out 430 lumens cost me $19. I'm estimating that with all the LEDs I'm going to be using and the current drive circuit and power supply it's going to run me around $150 in parts.

Great!! Can't wait to see it in action. I've been planning a possible upgrade myself and have been reading all the threads on this type of mod over at nano-reef. Good luck Peter and let us know how it turns out. :)

I will post more once I get all the LED in.

Stay tune. :)

i love that my dad works for Oram Sylvania aka..free Mh and free LEDs lol

the Mh he got me were liek 2500k really yellow

OK...so I finished building my DIY LED Light for my Nano. From my estimate the output is equivalent to a 120W-150W MH between 12k-14k color. I can't wait to get the light meter to see how muuch par I get from it. It draws about 21W. I have 3 small fans running for those hot summer days, but I'm sure I won't need it with this LED Light.

This is what it looks like under the hood. I will have a cover on it to protect it from splash.
2s6m0sh.jpg

This is all the LEDs turn on. I had to set the exposure to -2 in order to get a decent picture.
34xndq1.jpg

This is with only the blue LED.
2aj4d5i.jpg

This is what it looks like with just the white LEDs on. Sorry I didn't get a chance to clean the glass.
2nvbdyh.jpg

This is with both white and blue LEDS turned on.
25g5gyg.jpg

I also added a dimmer to the Blue LEDs.
o74whk.jpg

that's amazing! Jared was actually telling me about this experiment of yours last night. It's really cool =) good luck with everything!

Peter sweet job... You're def going to need shades for the corals... I had spots in my eyes untill we got to B's that day. It'll be cool to see how it looks with rocks and corals...

Back