PVH DIY LED Light Hood for 12 G Nano Cube

Real nice job Peter! Nano looks looks good especially the volcanic looking main base rock.
Guess I know what I'm replacing the pc light in my nano with...when I set it up.Cree makes an excellent product.

Thanks for posting your list of parts Peter. The tank is looking great (you are moving fast!).

I found a thread from another reef club that helped me grok your build. It also has some links to places to buy the parts. Maybe it will help others: http://www.ashevillemarine.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=621

I am looking forward to see ho w things go in your tank (I hope you post more later). I have been holding back on buying a nano for work and your mods pushed me over the edge (as did the sale price for the 12g DX at Petsolutions --> it's lower right now than what they are showing up for in the BRS Marketplace used).

Now I just have to wait for your reports (and for lighting that comes with the DX with to fail) :)

Carl

Thanks for the pictures Peter. They look awesome. Cant wait to see some PAR values :)

I can't wait to see the result myself. The real test will be in about six month to see how the growth will be.

looks great!!! great job....

Thanks.

looks great. i have always wanted to try it maybe now i will lol

You should. It's kinda fun.

Real nice job Peter! Nano looks looks good especially the volcanic looking main base rock.
Guess I know what I'm replacing the pc light in my nano with...when I set it up.Cree makes an excellent product.

Thanks Bill. How's your tank doing? Yes, I was looking at Cree LEDs and it looks like they are a bit brighter per LED than the Luxeon. If you're going to do an order let me know. We could combine our order to get a BULK discount.

Thanks for posting your list of parts Peter. The tank is looking great (you are moving fast!).

I found a thread from another reef club that helped me grok your build. It also has some links to places to buy the parts. Maybe it will help others: http://www.ashevillemarine.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=621

I am looking forward to see ho w things go in your tank (I hope you post more later). I have been holding back on buying a nano for work and your mods pushed me over the edge (as did the sale price for the 12g DX at Petsolutions --> it's lower right now than what they are showing up for in the BRS Marketplace used).

Now I just have to wait for your reports (and for lighting that comes with the DX with to fail) :)

Carl

Hi Carl, I had thought about using the small lens on the LED but I passed on it since it would reduce the par. However in the light the guy used the light enclosure as a heat sink which I thought was a good idea. How much is the 12G DX going for?

I haven't test the LEDs under a light meter but I did noticed that my RPE which usually extend toward the light is not extended at all. The polyp is very close to the rock, this telling me that it has more then enough light even with the hood open.

Attachments

• IMG_9168 (Large).JPG
    IMG_9168 (Large).JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_9166 (Large).JPG
    IMG_9166 (Large).JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 781
This has me thinking. I am looking to get into seahorses and grow some zoos, and softies with macro. Seahorses require a tank temp of 68-72. The tank is going to be 26'' deep this may do the trick lighting wise for growth and heat wise.

It should work. The LED has the shimmer as MH so I'm pretty sure it will be fine for a deep tank. Plus the heat is very little.

It should work. The LED has the shimmer as MH so I'm pretty sure it will be fine for a deep tank. Plus the heat is very little.

Is the shimmer really like MH?

If so I might be having you make one of these for my 6' display. Provided the PAR is where its at.

First in line (noseys)

Awesome job! So the corals seem to be doing fine under these LEDs? I think I might have a new project in the near future and convert my DIY T5 HO Canopy into these.

Great job!
Really would like to try this on my JBJ 28 it runs way to hot with the HQI cheaper upgrade than a chiller also.

Great job!
Really would like to try this on my JBJ 28 it runs way to hot with the HQI cheaper upgrade than a chiller also.

It runs a lot cooler and much cheaper in the long run as well.

do you think if you spread them out it would be better? they all look cramed in to middle

It would spread out the light a lot more but with the type of heat sinks I was using I had to cram them all in.

Anyone here interested in ordering some? Looks like I'll need 12 3 watt led's most likely 9 white and 3 blue luxeon k2. Should be enough for a 28 I would think?

Peter... don't forget to post those PAR numbers once you test it... make for some interesting chat room conversation...

Back