PVH DIY LED Light Hood for 12 G Nano Cube

Everything is looking good.

I'll second this... Had a look at it last week on Thur or Friday (forget when Kim and I were there) and it looked amazing... Especially the corals that "pop" under actinics... They glowed :cool:

I can't wait to see the par numbers on a 55-75 gal tank's depth to see if it's worth looking into building one for my 55 gal...

Here is what you guys been waiting for. The par measurements.

With the meter 1"-2" from the T5 daylight bulb I get a reading around 700 par.
With the meter 1"-2" from a single LED pure white I get a reading around 625 par.
With the meter 1"-2" from the tri-LED pure white I get a peak reading from the meter.

With the meter 1"-2" from the royal blue LED I get 570 par.

Just right under the water surface I get a reading of 300 for T5.
Just right under the water surface I get a reading of 400 for LED (bright area).

2" under the surface I get 250 par for T5.
2" under the surface I get 350 par for LEDs.

I wasn't able to go straight down since my rock was in the way so I can't really get a good accurate reading. But at about 6" (a bit outside of the bright area) I get 150 par.
At the sandbed, not in direct bean of the LEDs, I get about 50 par which is about 9" deep.

My conclusion is that it appears that the LEDs are equal if not better than T5 in light penetration. However without being able to get readings directly underneath the LEDs I can't say 100% for sure. I think if the LEDs were evenly space on top that it will be much better. My next DIY LED light will be evenly distributed out.

v33z7p.jpg

I noticed something...you should really acclimate your corals to these LEDs. I'm thinking the intensity is so bright that it took my zoas a couple of weeks for them to really open up.

Anyone here interested in ordering some? Looks like I'll need 12 3 watt led's most likely 9 white and 3 blue luxeon k2. Should be enough for a 28 I would think?

To get a 14K look you need 50/50 white led, blue leds. That is going to be a really white setup. I'm real close to building my own LED light. I am ordering the heatsink next week with the leds and drivers next.

Also if your par numbers need to be increased add optics to the LEDs. Par shouldn't be a problem in a 24'' tank.

To get a 14K look you need 50/50 white led, blue leds. That is going to be a really white setup. I'm real close to building my own LED light. I am ordering the heatsink next week with the leds and drivers next.

Can you tell me where you are getting your heat sink from? Yeah your correct I am going with 8 white and 4 blue rebels. For part of the heat sink I might use 3/4 inch copper pipe caps to mount the stars and expand from there. Maybe a water cooled loop set-up, fresh water of course.

Back