Randy's 2 part dosing question

Rick C

formerly sp1813
I've been dosing the 2 part for a few weeks now. My calcium and alk are were they are supposed to be (450 and 8). My mag is a bit low though (720). I know it says to add the mg after the ca and alk are finnished but my tank is so small (12g) its gonna take me forever to use it all. What should I do? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Use this calculator to figure out how much of randy's mag to dose. Shoot for around 1300 but don't dose more than 100 a day. Also try another test kit 720 is so low I almost don't trust the kit.

Are you using old dow flake without the borate?

I'm also wondering about that kit. 720 is really low, and IME when it's only half that low (1100) it's nearly impossible to keep the Ca / alk in balance.

I'd double check that test, then use the calculator as alpha said.

Here's a link to another calculator, but I think this is the same thing just formatted differrently;
http://jdieck1.home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

Alright cool. Its a Red Sea mg test I used. Probably not the best. I gotta get a new one. Thanks everyone.

Are you using old dow flake without the borate?

No I used the Peladow that was pictured in the mixing instructions. I had a heck of a time trying to find any kind of dowflake in June. The people at Homedepot and Lowes were looking at me like i was an idiot. I ended up popping open the brand new 5gal bucket of Peladow I found at work and helped myself to a healthy bunch of it.

As the others have mentioned (720) would be very low magnesium.
Just be aware,as you begin to raise your Mg. the S,G. will also go up.Also Red Sea test kits are extremely hard to read.The color change is almost impossible to see.
JME...but a I would look into a saltmix that gives you the right blend of ingredients and not dose a 12 gallon.It's way to easy to overdose such a small tank.

As the others have mentioned (720) would be very low magnesium.
Just be aware,as you begin to raise your Mg. the S,G. will also go up.Also Red Sea test kits are extremely hard to read.The color change is almost impossible to see.
JME...but a I would look into a saltmix that gives you the right blend of ingredients and not dose a 12 gallon.It's way to easy to overdose such a small tank.

Currently i'm using IO saltmix. I'm actually going to do a water change now then probably go to CRA to have them test my mg.

Alright so I might have been a little off with my test being 720:eek:. I think this cause 720 isn't even on the chart. It was actually 840. I posted this yesterday at my gf's house and thought 720 sounded right, not so much. Anyway, I just did a water change it just tested 920. I don't know how acurate that is but i guess its a step in the right direction. Any recomendations on a good mg test kit? Thanks to everyone for your help.

good luck finding salifert... they are out of business.. elos is suppose to be good.. but i have a hard time with it.. now i am sticking with red sea

I agree the salifert test is good. The color change is easy to read and it was within 30ppm of the club results.

good luck finding salifert... they are out of business.. elos is suppose to be good.. but i have a hard time with it.. now i am sticking with red sea

What is your source? I can find no news source reporting they went out of business and their website is still up and running.

Back