Randy's 2-Part Dosing

randoma

Non-member
It looks like our 55 gallon tank uses a little more than 1/4 cup of Part 1 & 2/day. That corresponds to an alkalinity fluctuation of 8dkh (pre-dose) to 11dkh (post-dose) if I dose the entire amount at once. I don't currently have any way to drip feed, so I've been dosing 1/8th cup twice a day, which is still a 1-2dkh delta. Is that too large a change? Should I figure out how to dose 4 times a day? <ugh>

(I only have 3 data points so far, so 1/4 cup is approximate, but the 18 gallon was taking 40ml/day which is 1.3 ounces, so 3x that for 3x the water volume doesn't seem totally ridiculous...)

Sounds about right. I was dosing 120 ml of each part in my 120 but never had swings that big. Have you checked your magnesium level? Calcium and Alk are harder to maintain with low mag levels!

I'm not concerned about the actual quantity - I'm wondering if it is okay to have dramatic alk swings - ideally I'd like to be able to dose once a day, but that's a ~3dkh change.

What's your ph doing when you add that much? I drip calk but also add 10ml/day to my AP 24, and that gives about .10-.12 jump in ph.

I dose in the sump so that the affect on the main tank is low because the return pump is slow and strong mixing pump in the sump. I pour in 4 cups each of part 1 and 2 each day all at once.

If you are using formular 1, you should dose about 1mL/gallon per day. If you use formular 2, 2mL/gallon will do. All assuming heavy SPS load.

A 3dkH drop over the course of a day is normal. A 3dkH bump is also fine in a single shot. I drop a full cup of Randy's alkalinity mix into my 300 gallon system without blinking from time to time.

The trick is, if you want the happiest, fastest growing coral, keeping the alkalinity as "optimal" as possible (optimal being on the high side of that 8-11 range). That being said, it's not even close to unhealthy for the coral.

I dropped a cup today to raise from 5 to 8dkh.... my pH went from 8.1 to 8.5 now it's at 8.3. I test with Tropic Marin.

FWIW, the tanks where I've used two-part calcium and alkalinity solutions aggresively I end up getting a lot of precipitation on pumps and equipment. This has been true for me even if I add the two part solutions slowly thoughout the day using pumps. I think that once you get beyond a certain calcium demand in your tank, it really is a good idea to move to a calcium reactor.

Thanks Maurod - that's exactly the answer I was looking for. Hopefully we'll have a Calcium reactor up in a week or two...

Back