removing palys

Blueflu1

The Acan Reaper!
I have a group of Nuclear green palys. They are popping up now in other parts of the tank though. Some are on the sandbed, so I can easily pull them up. I have others though on the rocks where I don't want them.

Whats the best way to get palys off of rocks. I don't care if they don't survive.

I had to do the same with some invasive green palys as well, I ended up using a pair of tongs like this.

http://www.aquacave.com/aquatic-gardener-27-withbr2-attachments-by-oscarbr-enterprises-703.html

Grabbed them close to the base, ........ gently rocked them side to side until the whole thing pulled right of the rock. I thought it would have ripped them apart, but surprisingly these palys I was removing were kind of rubbery and held together. I still have a few I have to remove from the clown/nem tank.

......kalk is the way to go but be carefull you dont want that stuff falling on rics, or shrooms, acans etc......and only kill a few at a time otherwise the kalk could make the ph in the tank rise too fast...

If I go for a kalk kill, I do the following (based on what Greg Hiller told me yrs ago);

-use an old 1 ml syringe (from an old salifert test kit, rinsed well inside and out)
-mix kalk powder / water at about a 1/1 ratio so it's a thick paste
-Shut off flow in the tank
-carefully squirt a bit of the paste into the mouth of what you want to kill, move quick as the polyps will close right up, you want them to eat some of the paste.
-wait 5 min, then suck off the paste and remnants of the polyp
-turn flow back on

IME this kills just about anything :)

Ive had to do this with these brown polyps in my tank, i cut them with a scalpul and then peeled them off the rock with tweezers worked like a charm

I just blasted a bunch of brown rhodactis last night to make room.
Sometimes it takes more than one application of kalk paste.

Back