Stainless steel in a reef system

Why not automotive rubber hose (oil/coolant hose). They withstand a lot of pressure and extreme temps. Would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a good stainless, even mild stainless would be expensive

Why not automotive rubber hose (oil/coolant hose). They withstand a lot of pressure and extreme temps. Would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a good stainless, even mild stainless would be expensive

Not sure of the materials of a heat rated automotive hose. I would be worried about them leaching.

I can buy stainless tubing for 30.00 for 50 feet. I'd then run some sort of latex covering over it.

Although Mark has pointed out that many people use Pex:

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/Heat...b959482d7349&gclid=CLaDh7qF3osCFQI2ZQodEw2tnA

And that I could run the whole entire length in Pex.

A stainless coil IMO would be fine, if your still concerned use 316-L St. St'l. no coating would be necessary.

Jim

Not sure of the materials of a heat rated automotive hose. I would be worried about them leaching.

I can buy stainless tubing for 30.00 for 50 feet. I'd then run some sort of latex covering over it.

Although Mark has pointed out that many people use Pex:

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/Heat...b959482d7349&gclid=CLaDh7qF3osCFQI2ZQodEw2tnA

And that I could run the whole entire length in Pex.

I've done quite a few radiant floor heating systems using Pex (I prefer al-pex because it is easier to work with and will hold its shape better). I would get either Al-Pex or oxygen barrier pex - both for the fish and your heating system. However, if you use either one and decent quality fittings you should have no problem whatsoever.

"Stainless" steel is a motley crew comprised of stuff that is really not corrosion resistant in salt water, and some stuff that is extremely corrosion resistant in the marine environment. You're safest with 316, although 304 is probably fine too, as long as the surface of the tubing is fairly polished. 400-series stainless will rust.

I would not feel comfortable with stainless. I made a grounding probe out of passivated 316L and it rusted in a month.

JD

"Stainless" steel is a motley crew comprised of stuff that is really not corrosion resistant in salt water, and some stuff that is extremely corrosion resistant in the marine environment. You're safest with 316, although 304 is probably fine too, as long as the surface of the tubing is fairly polished. 400-series stainless will rust.

This would have been 316.

I've done quite a few radiant floor heating systems using Pex (I prefer al-pex because it is easier to work with and will hold its shape better). I would get either Al-Pex or oxygen barrier pex - both for the fish and your heating system. However, if you use either one and decent quality fittings you should have no problem whatsoever.

Oxygen barrier Pex it is...

A stainless coil IMO would be fine, if your still concerned use 316-L St. St'l. no coating would be necessary.

Jim

Thanks, but running Pex all the way back to my heating system makes sense...

Order Detail:
Item: Price: Qty: Sub-Total:
HousePEX PEX-A - 1/2 inch by 300 foot roll of PEX with oxygen barrier -
1/2 inch copper sweat with ball valve to 1/2 inch PEX adaptor
1/2 inch copper sweat with ball valve and flow balancing valve to 1/2 inch PEX adaptor

Should work for me... Aquacontroller to run a gate valve and recirculator pump.

If you didn't already place the order and, if you don't actually need that much Pex, I have plenty of scrap pieces....

There are heat exchangers you can purchase from Aquatic Ecosystems, but they run into some money fast.

By the way, Grendel, when using the Sharkbite connectors with the pex, you'll need the disconnect tool (just the 99 cent plastic jobbie is fine, or a correctly sized washer..etc) and a pair of needle-nose pliers - compress the fitting and pull the white plastic insert out (carefully!) Then, put the plastic insert into the pex, then put the pex into the Sharkbite. The Sharkbite instructions say that doing it this way is "optional" however, you'll find that if you don't do it this way, it is very hard to get the pex seated all the way.

Incidentally, for anyone that finds the above out of context, Sharkbite connectors are great "tool-less" connectors for connecting copper pipe to cpvc or pex, or any combination of the three.

CashAcme SharkBite Fittings

Back