Steve's Tank Build

Doesn't look too much different from the foam rock. On the up side it doesn't float either.

Hey Steve I am fixing my dock got any extra faux rock :p

You know what really sucks that I just thought of? That damn foam rock cost me $36 for the foam alone. Anyone want a $36 buoy that looks like a rock? :D

Hmmm..... after your last post the google add reads "ultimate colon cleanse" :rolleyes:

I guess the google adds interpretation is far superior than we could have imagined.

Last edited:
Alright, here's the final shots. The water has cleared up and I'm very happy with the way the rock came out. I actually like it better than I liked the foam.

Full Tank and Stand
dsc04721.jpg

Full Frontal
dsc04723.jpg

Left Side
dsc04725.jpg

Right Side
dsc04726.jpg

The rock looks MUCH better than the foam "lava" rock. It was an interesting idea, but I think this has the more natural look. :)

Is that Simon licking his nose in the background. :p

Looks great Steve, you should be proud, not only does it look great but I think you started the actual build around 7/4 and started putting live stock in on 8/4 - pretty good.

Steve I have to admire your honesty and willingness to share the "ups and downs" of your project, I know some people would omit the truth of they're mistakes and mishaps but you just role with the punches and take it as it comes. You may have saved other people time,energy, and money with your honesty. Kudos to you and great job on the tank.

Steve what bulb combo are you using?
Right now I'm running one Actinic03 and three 10,000k Aquasun bulbs, but it is a little pink for my liking. I have another 2x24 Watt kit on its way and will add two ATI Blue Plus bulbs. Greg at Reefgeek said that if I still don't like the color, then he would suggest replacing one of the Aquasun bulbs for a GE 3000K Daylight.

Steve I have to admire your honesty and willingness to share the "ups and downs" of your project, I know some people would omit the truth of they're mistakes and mishaps but you just role with the punches and take it as it comes. You may have saved other people time,energy, and money with your honesty. Kudos to you and great job on the tank.

Thanks. I really wanted the thread to be a full "journal" of a build so people would learn from what I did. Hopefully it will show people that you can build an entire setup from scratch and still have it look nice.

Top Down (this is with the pumps on!)
dsc04728.jpg

Dang Steve, that is some clear-a$$ed water! :D

Tank is a beauty, and I think it's time you changed your signature to reflect you new vocation as a custum stand builder. :cool:

I thought it looked a bit pink, which is why I asked. I have a 24x24 tank and just decided to go with 6 T5s like you replacing my halide. Post some pics if you dont mind when you get the blues in there. Tank looks great

Back