Steve's Tank Build

Have you talked to Dave / Gina?

IIRC they made their tank? Maybe they know of a good supplier?

Don't count on Settles glass being cheap, however they do nice work
If they can come close to the pricing I got from Contract glass then I'll go with them to save myself the drive to Wilmington.

Have you talked to Dave / Gina?

IIRC they made their tank? Maybe they know of a good supplier?
I have talked with Dave. He said the place he used would be a hike for me. I'm assuming it is in NH.

Here's my first 3d render of how it will look. I used Google SketchUp for this. It works great but takes a little getting used to. I still need to draw up the drawers and power center...I'll try to get those in there tonight.

Attachments

• Tank & Stand.jpg
    Tank & Stand.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,103
Here it is with the drawer and power center. Anyone know how to draw PVC elbows in sketchup?:confused:

Attachments

• Cabinet.jpg
    Cabinet.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,095
I still haven't figured out elbows in sketchup. And I still think it is one of the coolest pieces of software I've seen in the past ten years. Being used to Autocad circa 1992, Sketchup is insanely good from a UI perspective. If you figure out the elbow issue, post the solution here!

I found the way to do it last night Joe. Here's the link to the answer http://groups.google.com/group/sket...2106b2a770c62?q=elbow&rnum=3#acb2106b2a770c62

Mine didn't come out perfect, but not bad for my first try. The thing I love about this program is that whe you draw thing up to the actual dimensions, you can see if parts are going to be in the way of others and make adjustments. Then you can pull the whole thing apart and measure each part.

Attachments

• Cabinet.jpg
    Cabinet.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,055
Steve my only suggestion is to add a 2nd drain. You dont want a single snail to ruin your day.

M.

on the google sketchup website there are drawing libraries... including one with all the pvc fittings you can imagine. Someone even did a lumenarc reflector you can download.

I agree on dual drains...

Weird...I couldn't find any PVC fittings on there. Got a link? I did see some other reef gear on there though.

You rock! I'm sticking with my 90 though dammit...it took me about 3 hours to figure out how to make it :D

Cool project! I especially like the sump/stand hybrid. (can we call it a "stump"?:p)

Do you plan to build the stump with plywood, and then epoxy/glass fabric the inside?

Steve,

Is this replacing your 125?
Yup, the 125 is going to go "bye bye" and this will feed my addiction until we get into a home. Once we get into a home I will start planning a bigger one if the budget allows.

Cool project! I especially like the sump/stand hybrid. (can we call it a "stump"?:p)

Do you plan to build the stump with plywood, and then epoxy/glass fabric the inside?
Yes Nate, I plan on epoxying it. From what I've read, the fiberglass isn't necessary, just epoxy paint.

Yes Nate, I plan on epoxying it. From what I've read, the fiberglass isn't necessary, just epoxy paint.

We did one of these last year for one of the guys that works in the cabinet shop I use. Used the West Marine epoxy system and fiberglassed all the seams just to be on the safe side. It's just a baby (40 gals total) but it's been holding water for about 10 months now.

If you have the height consider an overhead cabinet with a refuge and light valance built under it. Its a cool touch but then I'm sure you don't need it to be more complicated than it is already.

The thing about epoxy is that it's brittle without any reinforcing fibers. If you just coat a plywood joint with epoxy, and the joint flexes a little with all that heavy water in it, the epoxy will probably crack.

I don't think you need glass on all surfaces, but I'd put some 4" glass tape along the inside seams at least. It'll cost you $10 and take 10 minutes. And it'll improve the strength enormously.

I can do that...The plywood tank build "how to" I read just says to silicone the corners. I would assume either way would work. It isn't going to be unde enormous pressure anyways since it is going to be just around 30 gallons and only 13" of water height.

If you have the height consider an overhead cabinet with a refuge and light valance built under it. Its a cool touch but then I'm sure you don't need it to be more complicated than it is already.

I wish I had the room, but it is tight as hell as you can see in this drawing. I'm going to make that area to the right a make shift fuge though with chaeto or other types of macro.

Attachments

• Tank & Cabinet3.jpg
    Tank & Cabinet3.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 975
Ahh yes,

Nice work ont that drawing BTW
Each one is a bit more polished.....next time you post I want to see reflectors on those T5s and a gate on your G3 :p

No way I would construct that without glass tape on the joints at a minimum.

For reference: The base will have about .43 PSI (12" depth), a 30x30 inch base will have about 387 lb acting on it.

Jim

Back