Unique aquaria

new2saltyfish

Non-member
First off let me say, this is my experience. Although i'm sure others had good experience which im sure i'll hear soon enough in hopes the owner sees their post and gives a little special treatment, mine was nothing but awful. First off, i bought a trio of anthias last sunday...unique was throwing a special so i figured id take the ride down to the new shop. Picked out a trio which the employee told me were $20 each. Great! I get to the register and i was informed by the owner that they were $25 each and the employee must have not read the new price list...( new prices for the discount day? Maybe but im not sure ). Anyways at the desk he informed me that he is the only fosh store that guarantees fish for 2 weeks. Great! What a great system. Fish were doing great for a week although i had never seen them eat and they hid most of the time. A few days sgo 2 died, and the following day the other followed. Everything else is fine soaybe they just didnt eat? Anyways, i went to redeem the credit of the fish and i knew there was going to be a problem as soon as i got there. First off the employee started by telling me none have died so far and im the only one that brought them back, then informed me that i was supposed to bring them back the day they die...but youre not open on mondays and tuesdays i said...but if you call the shop The owner will come down and check out the dead fish so he may not refund you...and im supposed to know youre open on days that it says youre not? Anyways, now i hae to wait 15 to 20 minutes for the owner to drive to the store. As soon as he comes in he tells me how no other ones died and how im the only one. Then informed me how its only 48 hours for a guarantee and the two week is if you get your water checked at the begining. ( if he had actually told me this when i bought them how dumb would i be not to go back and get water before buying?). He then tells me this has been his policy for 10 years and is on his website and a paper in the store. But this is only the third time ive been here, i havent been there 10 years. Im only going bu what you had told me i said. All i got was denial. I was so mad i walked out and said good luck, he replies " i dont need luck brother". Real great way to run a store. Great customer service. Even if that was the policy he knows he told me differently. Mistake or what thats what he told me and how can i know different that what he himself told me ? Regardless i will neve be back and will not respond to this post. Ive said my peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
LoL... I thank you for sharing your experience, I usually go there with my eyes half close but my ears are wide open, (if u know wat i mean). I started to pay close attention after the first time I bought a fire shrimp from there for $35 and 20% of that come out to be $30 according to his math. To me its only $2 difference so I just take it as a cheap lesson to learned. BTW the wrasse I bought on Sunday had some ick and die yesterday, it can be my water but don't need guarantees cuz I know I ain't gonna get none. Again, I thank you for sharing your experience.

ive had two fish die from there and they never gave me any problems... took the dead fish and gave me a new one. or if they didnt have the same fish they gave me money towards something else.

First off let me say, this is my experience. Although i'm sure others had good experience which im sure i'll hear soon enough in hopes the owner sees their post and gives a little special treatment, mine was nothing but awful. First off, i bought a trio of anthias last sunday...unique was throwing a special so i figured id take the ride down to the new shop. Picked out a trio which the employee told me were $20 each. Great! I get to the register and i was informed by the owner that they were $25 each and the employee must have not read the new price list...( new prices for the discount day? Maybe but im not sure ). Anyways at the desk he informed me that he is the only fosh store that guarantees fish for 2 weeks. Great! What a great system. Fish were doing great for a week although i had never seen them eat and they hid most of the time. A few days sgo 2 died, and the following day the other followed. Everything else is fine soaybe they just didnt eat? Anyways, i went to redeem the credit of the fish and i knew there was going to be a problem as soon as i got there. First off the employee started by telling me none have died so far and im the only one that brought them back, then informed me that i was supposed to bring them back the day they die...but youre not open on mondays and tuesdays i said...but if you call the shop The owner will come down and check out the dead fish so he may not refund you...and im supposed to know youre open on days that it says youre not? Anyways, now i hae to wait 15 to 20 minutes for the owner to drive to the store. As soon as he comes in he tells me how no other ones died and how im the only one. Then informed me how its only 48 hours for a guarantee and the two week is if you get your water checked at the begining. ( if he had actually told me this when i bought them how dumb would i be not to go back and get water before buying?). He then tells me this has been his policy for 10 years and is on his website and a paper in the store. But this is only the third time ive been here, i havent been there 10 years. Im only going bu what you had told me i said. All i got was denial. I was so mad i walked out and said good luck, he replies " i dont need luck brother". Real great way to run a store. Great customer service. Even if that was the policy he knows he told me differently. Mistake or what thats what he told me and how can i know different that what he himself told me ? Regardless i will neve be back and will not respond to this post. Ive said my peace.

Wow...this post completely proves exactly what I said to you in the store...you will hear exactly what you want to hear and not what someone is actually telling you. Because your recollection of the events could not be farther than the truth my friend...
First off, you were NEVER told that your livestock had a 2 week guarantee...you were told the same as ever single other customer and exactly what is and has always been printed right at the counter at the point of purchase. Now we do quite often extend that guarantee to two weeks if you bring water in the day you purchase the Fish. this ensures the Fish are going to a good environment. Any mention of a two week guarantee would have also been accompanied by the fact that we need to see a water sample at the time of purchase. I tell hundreds of customers the exact same thing for years, why would I all of a sudden change it for you out of no where...Your story does not make sense to us... Also, I asked if you had your receipt and a current sample of water...which are two posted requirements of any health guarantee, which you did not have. Also, it is not a requirement to bring the Fish in within the 48 hour health gurantee. but is it too much to ask to make the effort to notify us of the loss (for several reasons) you could make a phone call, leave a message, text, or best thing would be to send an email with an attached picture of the deceased Fish...hell any effort would have been great. Then after me telling you that yes it is strange that out of 24 Dispar Anthias on that order, we lost 1 that was DOA from shipping, sold 12 of them and still have 11 of them hear..and yes yours are the only ones lost...yes I am concerned why, and why they never ate for you...that is why we wanted a sample of water. Also, you neglected to mention the fact that I did offer you full credit, but told you before I felt comfortable selling you any Fish and would not be able to guarantee them, we would need to see a water sample...then you stormed off in a big huff???? Again, this is normal procedure for any shop that actually cares about and guarantees SW Fish.

And as to you comment on pricing...that is why we have weekly livestock lists...because we get many orders in and use over 20 different suppliers, whose pricing varies very much sometimes...prices are different sometimes even for the same species of Fish in the shop at one time, depending on where they came from...Leon, is till learning (but catching on amazingly) so, it is clearly our apology for anything that was misquoted...and I do believe that I gave them to you for the quoted price, and apologized for his mess up...(man, sometimes, it is never enough for some people)

and for some further clarification, as I am not too fond of 125 tank's tone in his post....We do not play games with the pricing.
Everything in here has a price, and you can clearly see what it is, as the price book is sitting out in the isle for anyone to see. It contains every price list from the first order we got in to this weeks most current order...please feel free to look at it any time...I will admit...things have been very busy around here lately for the 3 of us here to keep up with (not a bad thing) and I have not been great with keeping prices on the tank updated. But, as a policy I do not put a label up on Fish that have arrived that week for two reasons. One, I really do not want to sell any of the new Fish until they have been here for a week, no label on them helps to identify them to employee and customers. Two, if they are to sell within days of coming in, why add to the overhead of making additional labels or even using the paint pen (those things are not cheap). And with the Corals...uhhh have you seen our tanks, if we labeled every Coral, you would not be able to see into the tanks...lol But again, they are in the binder where anyone can look at them. And in todays world...we have a lot of tanks that are name your own price on the Corals...and as long as you offer fair market value, then you get it for the price you want. A bunch of tanks are also pre priced...where everything in that tank is a set price...so there would be no need to label them..and the Coral vats, well there really is no way to label them...But customers that have known and shopped with me for well over 10 years will tell you...everything in the shop, and I mean EVERYTHING has a price...and it is always the same price (unless it is on sale or as the owner of the business I decide to discount it) You could text me a picture of the Coral..or hell even call me when I am not at the shop and describe the piece and the location and I could tell you exactly what it is and how miuch it is, and how much we paid for it. For real I keep that kind of inventory in my head on this place....Easy to do when you are here 10-15 hours a day 7 days a week.

So,as I said to you before you stormed out in a temper tantrum like a 5 year old. Had you bothered to follow any of the posted requirements of the policy, and not taken such a nasty attitude, we would have been more than happy to take care of you (and even offered to) like we do anytime in the unfortunate case that someone does experience a loss.

LoL... I thank you for sharing your experience, I usually go there with my eyes half close but my ears are wide open, (if u know wat i mean). I started to pay close attention after the first time I bought a fire shrimp from there for $35 and 20% of that come out to be $30 according to his math. To me its only $2 difference so I just take it as a cheap lesson to learned. BTW the wrasse I bought on Sunday had some ick and die yesterday, it can be my water but don't need guarantees cuz I know I ain't gonna get none. Again, I thank you for sharing your experience.

Not sure why he died...we still have plenty here...bring in a water sample and if all good, will replace him no problem.

not sure why you guys are making a big deal out of nothing????

we stand behind everything we sell...and you will not find a more knowledgeable staff anywhere...nor one that cares about the health and quality of their livestock even half as much as we do...
I am terribly sorry if you can't see that ...and you don't want to come back...it is a shame as you will miss out on all the amazing and Unique specimen that only we bring in.

I went there today to have my water tested and B give me the credit for the dead fish without a problem. Yes, we did had a misunderstand in the pass few days but after I went there today and spoke with B n get to know the store a little better. I just want to apologize for my comment. And yes it would be a shame if I don't go back to your store. This is the only store that I know give guarantees on SW Fishes. Thank You!

Last edited:
Wow...this post completely proves exactly what I said to you in the store...you will hear exactly what you want to hear and not what someone is actually telling you. Because your recollection of the events could not be farther than the truth my friend...
First off, you were NEVER told that your livestock had a 2 week guarantee...you were told the same as ever single other customer and exactly what is and has always been printed right at the counter at the point of purchase. Now we do quite often extend that guarantee to two weeks if you bring water in the day you purchase the Fish. this ensures the Fish are going to a good environment. Any mention of a two week guarantee would have also been accompanied by the fact that we need to see a water sample at the time of purchase. I tell hundreds of customers the exact same thing for years, why would I all of a sudden change it for you out of no where...Your story does not make sense to us... Also, I asked if you had your receipt and a current sample of water...which are two posted requirements of any health guarantee, which you did not have. Also, it is not a requirement to bring the Fish in within the 48 hour health gurantee. but is it too much to ask to make the effort to notify us of the loss (for several reasons) you could make a phone call, leave a message, text, or best thing would be to send an email with an attached picture of the deceased Fish...hell any effort would have been great. Then after me telling you that yes it is strange that out of 24 Dispar Anthias on that order, we lost 1 that was DOA from shipping, sold 12 of them and still have 11 of them hear..and yes yours are the only ones lost...yes I am concerned why, and why they never ate for you...that is why we wanted a sample of water. Also, you neglected to mention the fact that I did offer you full credit, but told you before I felt comfortable selling you any Fish and would not be able to guarantee them, we would need to see a water sample...then you stormed off in a big huff???? Again, this is normal procedure for any shop that actually cares about and guarantees SW Fish.

And as to you comment on pricing...that is why we have weekly livestock lists...because we get many orders in and use over 20 different suppliers, whose pricing varies very much sometimes...prices are different sometimes even for the same species of Fish in the shop at one time, depending on where they came from...Leon, is till learning (but catching on amazingly) so, it is clearly our apology for anything that was misquoted...and I do believe that I gave them to you for the quoted price, and apologized for his mess up...(man, sometimes, it is never enough for some people)

and for some further clarification, as I am not too fond of 125 tank's tone in his post....We do not play games with the pricing.
Everything in here has a price, and you can clearly see what it is, as the price book is sitting out in the isle for anyone to see. It contains every price list from the first order we got in to this weeks most current order...please feel free to look at it any time...I will admit...things have been very busy around here lately for the 3 of us here to keep up with (not a bad thing) and I have not been great with keeping prices on the tank updated. But, as a policy I do not put a label up on Fish that have arrived that week for two reasons. One, I really do not want to sell any of the new Fish until they have been here for a week, no label on them helps to identify them to employee and customers. Two, if they are to sell within days of coming in, why add to the overhead of making additional labels or even using the paint pen (those things are not cheap). And with the Corals...uhhh have you seen our tanks, if we labeled every Coral, you would not be able to see into the tanks...lol But again, they are in the binder where anyone can look at them. And in todays world...we have a lot of tanks that are name your own price on the Corals...and as long as you offer fair market value, then you get it for the price you want. A bunch of tanks are also pre priced...where everything in that tank is a set price...so there would be no need to label them..and the Coral vats, well there really is no way to label them...But customers that have known and shopped with me for well over 10 years will tell you...everything in the shop, and I mean EVERYTHING has a price...and it is always the same price (unless it is on sale or as the owner of the business I decide to discount it) You could text me a picture of the Coral..or hell even call me when I am not at the shop and describe the piece and the location and I could tell you exactly what it is and how miuch it is, and how much we paid for it. For real I keep that kind of inventory in my head on this place....Easy to do when you are here 10-15 hours a day 7 days a week.

So,as I said to you before you stormed out in a temper tantrum like a 5 year old. Had you bothered to follow any of the posted requirements of the policy, and not taken such a nasty attitude, we would have been more than happy to take care of you (and even offered to) like we do anytime in the unfortunate case that someone does experience a loss.

I neglected to say you offered me a full credit? pal, you're smoking something good. I knew this was going to turn into a he said she said which was why i wasn't going to bother replying; but you offered me a full credit? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? LOL. You're smoking something good. Before i left i said "so there's nothing you're going to do for me" and you just shook your head no. Don't you think i would have taken it if you did? (this is probably where you're going to say i heard what i wanted to hear again, but you and i both know what was actually said and that's what matters to me) I would have been more then happy with a credit. All you did was look at me, ask me what i did, say it's only a 48 hour credit and you had to test my water before hand and you couldn't do anything (which isn't what i was told when i bought them)...Now, i understand your policy is to test before hand (now), makes perfect sense, but that's not what i was told when i bought the fish...we all make mistakes, granted, but i was never told about an initial water test. I Stormed off? I left before it got into a pissing contest that wasn't going to solve anything. I think a 5 year old would say something like "I don't need luck bro" when someone peacefully says good luck and walks away. I know when i need to walk away, and at that time, that was the best course of action. There was no "working with me and offering a refund". I offered to go home and come back with a current water sample and you said it wouldn't matter i needed one when i bought the fish. You can change your words here but you and i both know what was said and that's all that matters to me. You didn't say it was strange, you said "What did you do?". I expected to be worked with, not looked down upon and and attitude taken. Also, i would have brought in a receipt but i was never given one. When i got in the car i looked in the bag for one, but it wasn't a big deal, you seemed like a fairly upstanding guy the first time i went in and i figured you'd remember a face, i know your employee remembered.

PS. you did not give me the fish for the quoted price, you offered to put them back and said it was still a good deal...

Last edited:
and will not respond to this post. Ive said my peace.
guess there was no truth to this comment either...

honestly, you can lie all you want...there are plenty of witnesses to what you said and how you acted...including our cameras...so you can live in you delusional world all you want...

You were told exactly what everyone else is told and nothing different...again, you are one of those people that will only hear what you want (as I have also been told by several members on the forum) so there is no point to argue with you.

your story gets funnier an funnier every time you tell it...now you are saying you never got a receipt???? are you kidding me...I put you r receipt in the bag myself...bro WTF are you smoking???? you are so out in left field it is ridiculous...

The only thing that kept you from getting any credit right at that moment was that you did not have a sample of water for us to test. Which is exactly what you were told...I told you I would give you credit but without water to test I could not in good conscience let you take Fish home at that time...that is when you started to get all up on a tiff...So, you were never denied credit, I explained that if you followed procedure we would have been able to issue you credit. As I explained very clearly to you in the store and in my last post (but obviously you choose not to hear or read) I can overlook and put aside some of our written policies and procedures (like you not having the receipt, or even that fact hat you did not notify us in a timely manner...but you did not even have a sample of water....So you made absolutely no effort what so ever to comply with any of the stated livestock guarantee plicies...regardless of weather you had a 2 hour, 2 day, 2 week, or 2 month guarantee...you had no regard for anything else but you and your concerns. So we are just supposed to bend over ad give you credit for your Fish because YOU say so...buddy, I don't know who you think you are or what it is you are smoking, but you certainly have another thing coming to you...and that attitude will get you absolutely no where here that is for sure (as you have seen for yourself)

good day to you sir...

When unique was still in Boston at old skiptons location we purchase a few gobies that for whatever reason didnt make it within the first few days. took a water sample back and replaced our fish no problems at all. We live in RI and he allowed us to wait until the weekend so we could make the trip up which I thought was very accommodating. Always been a great guy to deal with in my opinion. the return policy is what it is...comply and the policy will be honored IME. I wish we had more stores like Unique in my area that take the time and effort to have a great store.

Last edited:
guess there was no truth to this comment either...

honestly, you can lie all you want...there are plenty of witnesses to what you said and how you acted...including our cameras...so you can live in you delusional world all you want...

You were told exactly what everyone else is told and nothing different...again, you are one of those people that will only hear what you want (as I have also been told by several members on the forum) so there is no point to argue with you.

your story gets funnier an funnier every time you tell it...now you are saying you never got a receipt???? are you kidding me...I put you r receipt in the bag myself...bro WTF are you smoking???? you are so out in left field it is ridiculous...

The only thing that kept you from getting any credit right at that moment was that you did not have a sample of water for us to test. Which is exactly what you were told...I told you I would give you credit but without water to test I could not in good conscience let you take Fish home at that time...that is when you started to get all up on a tiff...So, you were never denied credit, I explained that if you followed procedure we would have been able to issue you credit. As I explained very clearly to you in the store and in my last post (but obviously you choose not to hear or read) I can overlook and put aside some of our written policies and procedures (like you not having the receipt, or even that fact hat you did not notify us in a timely manner...but you did not even have a sample of water....So you made absolutely no effort what so ever to comply with any of the stated livestock guarantee plicies...regardless of weather you had a 2 hour, 2 day, 2 week, or 2 month guarantee...you had no regard for anything else but you and your concerns. So we are just supposed to bend over ad give you credit for your Fish because YOU say so...buddy, I don't know who you think you are or what it is you are smoking, but you certainly have another thing coming to you...and that attitude will get you absolutely no where here that is for sure (as you have seen for yourself)

good day to you sir...

You have cameras? GREAT!! Post the videos please. Wasn't going to respond until you started lying through your teeth....which i knew is what would happen. This can all be solved, just post the video. Never got the receipt, again, he said she said...regardless you knew who i was, i OFFERED to go home and get a sample and you said it wasn't good enough. I'm not repeating myself, why don't you just post the video and show what i said? If i'm wrong i'll be happy to apologize. But you won't. You and i both know what the truth is, and that's all that matters. I'll let you reply to this and get the last word, 5 year old.

P.S. Good luck with the store bro

Last edited:
A couple of discussion posts were removed.
Please observe the VE forum rules: first hand experiences with the vendor only, no discussion.

Service beyond the sale has always been excellent from B. I had a problem with a Coralife MH fixture with a faulty UV shield that fried my tank and he went to bat for me through the manufacturer and got me some store credit. I had a pistol shrimp disappear after two days and he replaced it. I'm in the customer service business. Once a customer starts yelling at me I have no motivation to help him. Civil conversations usually work out better for both parties.

I have had nothing but good come out of my dealings with the store and all that work there. I visit weekly and one visit I saw a paly I wanted that was his own and not for sale. I bugged him for a couple weeks till he gave in and fragged it for me. He would not let me buy it for three weeks to make sure it was healed. To me that is customer service.

The thread title was changed to comply with forum rules.
All thread titles should be void of any positive or negative notation. The thread title should only contain the Name of the store and the location.

Last edited:
Although it has been a few years since I have been there, B has ALWAYS provided great customer service. He has even given me store credit when I returned a dead fish and my water sample showed problems. Whenever I am in the store, he is always helpful and honest about how the fish are doing. I have always found him to be one of the best stores in our area.

Back