Using SeaChem Reef Builder and Adv Calcium for 2 part

Bobbofin

Non-member
Have had a bunch of corals die because of alk swings and ajusting alk by 3 clicks all at once. I have two 1g bottles of Reef Builder and Advantage Calcium already. I use about two teaspoons of each weekly. I was thinking about using two half gallon jugs, put 18 teaspoons of each in them with RO water. I'd then have enough to dose 1 oz. or 29ml everyday for 63 days or 9 weeks.
I'm thinking that dosing this way will create a more stable environment and not large adjustment swings. Tell me if this sounds good. I like the fact that Advantage Calcium contains Strontium and Magnesium so I'd rather use that instead of 2 part from BRS.

As long as you have worked out the dose and diluted properly it should work beautifully.

When I dosed two part I did something similar. I was dosing the tank twice a day due to the tanks high comsumption of ALK and CA.

I rigged up a few DIY drippers using some John Guest fittings, then I diluted the 80ml of each part into 15 oz of water so that it would take an hour for it to drip into the system. I did that twice a day forever. I used empty water bottles so in the morning and evening all I had to do was open up one of each ALK and CA and pour into the drippers and once a week refill all the bottles.

If you wanted to fully automate it you could use a peristaltic pump and have it slowly pump in the dose everyday on its own and just refill the container whenever they were empty depending on their size.

Dosing regiment

If you wanted to fully automate it you could use a peristaltic pump and have it slowly pump in the dose everyday on its own and just refill the container whenever they were empty depending on their size.

I think I can handle putting in one once per day of each. What I'm looking for is consistant water parameters 7 days a week without alk swings of a couple of clicks either way. That's what I think harmed my corals. As far as the figuring out the amount it was easy. A 64 once container will last 64 days or 9 weeks, one day. Just add 9 weeks of the dosing amount you are currently using which is 2 each per week. So 18 tablespoons of each should do it.

Last edited:
Back