Winter live foods

bdaley

BRS Member
I have been approached by a couple club members for help in either buying or other means of getting live food without the high cost of shipping. I will take order for live food that you can feed your cuttles, anglers ect. I can only gather when the tides are right. You will have to meet me where its easy for me since I am going all the grunt work lol. You will need to bring a 5 gal bucket w/lid(I drill a hole in the middle for the air line tubing to run) with a battery powered air pump. You will get a combo of sand shrimp, grass shrimp and feeder fish. This is how I feed my cuttles and I feel is the reason they breed non-stop. The tides this week are not good with my work hours. I might take Friday off work if enough people need food. On a side note I do not feed my baby cuttles Mysis shrimp after the first week, I need local pods and baby shrimp that end up in my buckets. so save your money and let me show you how to feed on the cheap.

Hey Brian, are you able to get a lot of pods locally? I would be in for that.

I get them all the time, just an FYI these are the larger pods not copepods. The pods are easier for me to get over the other live foods that I either have to catch a very low tide or high tide. Let me know you need. I keep them alive in a 10gal tank not heater or light for a week, I am sure once it gets colder in my basement they will last longer, but I should me able to get the pods year round. My fish and baby cuttles love them.

no sorry, I get lots of local pipefish, caught a 9" last night in my nets.

I get them all the time, just an FYI these are the larger pods not copepods. The pods are easier for me to get over the other live foods that I either have to catch a very low tide or high tide. Let me know you need. I keep them alive in a 10gal tank not heater or light for a week, I am sure once it gets colder in my basement they will last longer, but I should me able to get the pods year round. My fish and baby cuttles love them.

Perfect - when will you be going next?

I will be going out Sat for shrimp and I will hit Nahant mid tide so I can scrape the pier pylons for the pods Sunday.

Hi Daley

the pods you harvested in the wild, do you have to freeze them to kill off the pathogen? or do you just add them to the tank? kinda risky?

I just feed them to the tank, I have been doing so for years with no issues other then fat happy fish. Being colder water they tend to not last long so I harvest often, but you could freeze them or add them to say fish goo if desired. I feed my tanks all local caught feeder fish, shrimp and baby green crabs, I even have a lot of local pipe fish living with my baby cuttlefish.

Back