YAY! Manderians (Mandarins) eating frozen!

dz6t said:
I am wondering how to put 200 lbs of live rock in a 75 gallon. I was trying very hard to put 75lbs of live rock in a 55 gallon also leave space for coral and fish. Any trick?

Guess it has to do with the density of the live rock. Maybe this live rock is not very porous... (just a guess)?

Guess it has to do with the density of the live rock. Maybe this live rock is not very porous... (just a guess)?

Yup..
I went over kill on the live rock also because I am upgrading to a 180+ in wall in the near future.

I have a old picture of the tank in the photo furum if you would like to see for yourself.

Also keep in mind 40lbs was base...I have a chart that I have been keeping to give me the weight of the rock...(Example) I bout 60lbs one week then 60lbs the next week.

I am embarrised about this picture but here is a old shot.
tank.jpg

Beautiful reef. I would be surprised if he couldn't find enough pods in there. Do you ever see pods in the main tank? It could be a problem with your rock not having enough holes for the pods to breed in away from the mandarin maybe?? The rock I like best is the dry stuff from Marco's place because it is more holes than rock. Each piece is its own pod pile. I don't know, It seems strange for him to be so thin in such a nice home.

Here is another pic for comparison of fullness in the face (but mostly because I can't get enough of mandarin pics :D )

Attachments

• mandarins4.JPG
    mandarins4.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

I do see pods in the main display. All the rock is different, Marshall, Fugi, Brazilian(So A guy told me) and some base rock. I also got some rubble rock in the back and in the bottom of the tank..

Now I am worried about the little guy though. I have had him for so long and I would hate to loss him. Maybe I will look on line and order a bottle of pods for the display tank.

I can bring a rock or some macro from my fuge to the next meeting. My mysids just spawned too so there are zillions in there. Or maybe if you just transfer some stuff back and forth between your display and your fuge it would help.

~Flighty~ said:
I can bring a rock or some macro from my fuge to the next meeting. My mysids just spawned too so there are zillions in there.

Flightly,

Could you please bring some to the next meeting for me? I would really like to ensure that there is a strong mysid population in my tank.

He does look thin in that second picture. Especially around the head.

Maybe you could try feeding tobiko? Maybe try training him to bottle-feed. Marc Levenson (melev) posted his "Mandarin Diner" idea a while ago, showing that his mandarins are more comfortable eating prepared food if it's in a small jar laying on it's side.

smcnally said:
Wow...how log did it take for you to count to a zillion?? ;)
Not too long, I counted by fives. ;)

I'm going to have to try getting some baby mysids out and see how much effort it takes. I would like to give them out for free, but if it is a real PIA I might charge something.

hey if clamm is casey ( ray and scotts friend) You got the mandarin from us at sea creatures. I try to get as many of the mandarins eating frozen before they leave the store. Did this with both mine and my brothers mandarins and there both fat and happy, and my brothers tank dosent seem to have any pod growth waht so ever. Glad he is doing well. My fav fish!

Back