YAY!!! My tank is cycled!

TBoisvert

Non-member
Now that my nitrites = 0, nitrates =0, ammonia = 0, calcium =420 -- how long do I wait to slowly add corals or fish?

Tammie

I have been told by some (LFS, actually) to wait one week after params are correct. It just seems so long to wait... especially after the initial curing time. Well, I guess I will just have to.

Tammie :)

My tank finished cycling last week, I am getting my first beginner corals tonight I think!!!!

isn't this fun already LOL

I don't see why you can't start adding stuff now. Just start with heartier things because it takes a long time to get the salinity top off and temperature worked out so it stays constant rather than bouncing around. Also make sure that the livestock you put in now is stuff you want. some things are trouble to get out.

Have you added a clean up crew yet?

~Flighty~ said:
I don't see why you can't start adding stuff now. Just start with heartier things because it takes a long time to get the salinity top off and temperature worked out so it stays constant rather than bouncing around. Also make sure that the livestock you put in now is stuff you want. some things are trouble to get out.

Have you added a clean up crew yet?

Nope, not yet. I will do that though. I know that is probably the first thing to start with.

I am not sure what you mean by keeping the temp constant. Does this become a problem when adding things? I have kept my tank at 79 degrees consistently and it hasn't fluctuated at all. I have also tested the salinity everyday as I topped off the evaporation and it has been stable at 1.025 and I measure this with a refractometer.

Thanks for your help, Tammie

It won't change with adding critters, but with the lights comming on and off, and especially if the temp and humidity in your house fluctuates on warm days. Hot humid days are the worst and they 're right around the corner (finally)

Well, I have been running the mh about 8 hours per day and have not had temp fluctuations. I am running 2 - 200 watt Ebos and have 2 tunze 6100's for circulation and it seems to be working out perfectly. I'm not too worried about the heat, as I just purchased air conditioning for the house. I decided that for what we've invested in this tank, we weren't going to chance having fluctuations in temperature.

This is really exciting!

~Flighty~ said:
Oooo whatcha gonna get?

Ooooo... I think I am going to at least add a clean up crew later tonite. I just want some life in the tank! I do have a bit of green hair algae, but the diatom bloom seems to have disappeared on its own.

I'd say go ahead with a big clean up crew, and some heartier corals, and a fish or two. You want to take your time with fish because the rock has to catch up with the bioload they create (ie poo :)) but corals don't have much of an effect on that, so you can go to town with those. The only caveat being what cindy said. You tend to make more mistakes in the first couple weeks months of a new setup, so I probably wouldn't put that $500 T. maxima in your tank just yet. Stick with some of the heartier, more common creatures to make the learning curve a little less costly. :)

There are some livestock that you should wait a few more months before getting because water quality will continue to stabilize and improve over the first 6 months. I'd put anemones and delicate fishes like butterflies in that group.

Congratulations! Have fun watching your hermit crabs. They fascinated me when we first got our first tank running - Heck they still fascinate me from time to time! :)

Congratulations Tammie!!! What an exciting time for you... What are your stocking plans for fish? Like Cindy said, dont put anything in there you dont want to keep long term.

YOu may still have an algae bloom that is normal after cycling. We had the overflow covered with hair algae after the initial cycle. The sanils took care of that within a week or so. It should mostly be gone after you add the clean up crew and they get working. Good luck with it, and post some pics!!

In my freshwater experience, snails are the worst when it comes to poop. Are saltwater snails just as pooperiffic?

Melody~

Yeah they poop. Piles of their crap will identify the water flow dead spots in your tank. Very useful substance for that actually. :)

Thanks guys and gals! I am taking a ride to RI to sea creatures to pick up a crew! I am thinking I may buy at least one, or two "pretty things"... I really love the SPS corals and I know they are a challenge, but I do really love the colors! I will take it really slow and post pics. I will ask John his opinion as well, as he seems to slow me down when my excitement gets the best of me.

Oh, also, the doors for the tank stand came in today. They are gorgeous. I bought them from doorsandpulls.com. The link was provided on this website. They are very well made and I chose the raised panel oak. Very nice and really cheap! I paid $54.00 for 4 doors and eight european hinges. What a deal! The canopy is finished and only needs varnishing/staining. It came out awesome!

I will post pics.

Tammie :)

SPS really arent that hard to do, you just need ot have the things they need, and a lot of people try to keep them in situations they can't live.

High Light
Clean water
high flow

Back