yet another build thread (180 inwall)

i have been researching generators for emergency power the last few days and will be purchasing tomorrow. i am not going to go high end honda or anything. i am going to get the cheapest 5000 watt generator HD has to offer i suppose. my regular power has never been out more than a couple hours in the 4 years i have been in the house but i know hurricane season is here and it has been really warm this year. these conditions could send us a beast of a storm.

i slept on the generator thing. i keep going back to what greg hiller said about not having the instant on generator and how much it is actually helping if you are not there to get it up and running. that leads to the idea of the uninterpretable power supply but i am having trouble finding one that can be hooked up to a few marine batteries.

Well.. although they wont keep a tank running for all that long.. i've got a lot of confidence in my vortech battery back-ups... keep the vortechs moving at about 50% of speed for around 48 hours... i don't think we've ever had a power outage of more than 12 hours in this house since i've lived here.. so that's good piece of mind for me.

I have a whole house generator and it is the best money I ever spent. No power outages in 16 years and this year twice for almost a day each time. Would have lost my tank both times most likely...

i decided is that my sump is too difficult to work in so moved it the other day. i had 2/3rds that is inaccessible as it was under the display. also it is hard to get a micron filter bag over the drain pipes so i wanted to move the pipes around to make that easier.

old
IMG_0208.jpg

new
IMG_0309.jpg

i bought a 1850k generator today it is tiny but it will keep everything alive in the event of a power loss for a couple days. which guarantees that no hurricane will hit new england for another 5 years.

i bought a 1850k generator today it is tiny but it will keep everything alive in the event of a power loss for a couple days. which guarantees that no hurricane will hit new england for another 5 years.

that was a great idea!
we have a genrator that runs a few rooms, i have a recpticle in my room for my tank as well :)

What did you get for a transfer set up manual or automatic?? If you have any questions or concerns feel free to let me know i've done a bunch and yes i do carry a RI licence.

What did you get for a transfer set up manual or automatic?? If you have any questions or concerns feel free to let me know i've done a bunch and yes i do carry a RI licence.

hey mike, long time no see. for now i will just run a heavy extension cord through a window and plug the x10 for my aqua controller into that.

sad day, my midas blenny jumped out of my covered tank i figure he got through the egg crate part. i suppose i will need to cover it better.
tank top cover
IMG_7584.jpg

would have been an epic jump to get out. he was right in the middle on the clear scree. barry warned me

ok i upgraded the controller from the acjr to the apex. so far i am glad i did. i can control all from the computer or my ipod and it was far easier to set up the the acjr was. i am very happy with it. thanks gardiner for all your help and answering all of my stupid question texts!

Back