2014/15 Official BRS Chalice Growout

Daniel, in your frag I count 2-3 eyes. Yep -- those small orange/yellow spots are it! In KidsX frag I can't quite yet .. need a pic from top down without flash -- flash seems to wash out the eye color.

I looked last night and this morning with just my BLUE led strip on; Archit is correct... there are 3 eyes on my frag. At the same time I could see 1 eye on KidsX frag.

Awesome guys :)

EYES EYES EYES :single_eye:

Starting eyes / As of Now eyes

01. Jason = 1
02. DBleite = ?
03. Bdaley = 2 / 12
04. dilligaf = out
05. Flame Angel = out
06. MrX = 3 / 3
07. TurboSnail = out
08. nemodan = 4 / 11
09. cstmpprl = out
10. higorc = 1
11. gobywan = 2
12. 22engine = 4
13. Jdmitch = 1
14. Phinfan = out
15. Jamesdong09 = 2 / 12
16. Elmafsio = 2 / 7 or 8
17. ChildrenX = 1 / 5
18. Ba19Ma88 = 3 / 14
19. dannyp = 0
20. skelly = 1 / 5
21. molo41 = 2 / 6
22. dmurb = 4 / 7
23. Marshal O = out
24. Cilyjr = ?

Last edited:
My Frag appears to have 3 eyes and looks Great
IMG_2627 (640x419) (2).jpg

Thanks LTR!!!
System is tested monthly last results are:
Cal 420
Alk 11.0
Mag 1300
Po4 not detectable
No3 not detectable

System
90 Gallon Bare Bottom with about 80LBS of Fiji Select LR and 10 LBS of same Rubble in fuge.

Flow...Return Pump is a Reef Octopus Diablo DC 10500 Variable Speed Water Pump & 2x Ecotech mp40 Usually running around 30-45% on Reefcrest or one on Reefcrest and one on EcoSmart Nutrient Transport Mode

Lights...6 bulb ATI T5 fixture running •3 ATI Blue Plus•2 ATI Aquablue Special•1 ATI Purple & 36 Inch Dimmable Current USA TrueLumen Pro LED Striplight in Deepwater Blue 453nm

Filtration...Sump with rubble and a separate Cheato section* Via Aqua media reactor with GFO (small amount) Bubble Magnus Curve 5 Skimmer* Turbo Twist 9Watt UV

Water changes are weekly at 5-10 gallons or every 2 -2.5 weeks at 15 gallons –salt Reef crystals.

I dip all corals in Bayer or Coral RX Pro or Seachem Reef Dip depending upon what the coral is SPS, LPS or Softie and will vary for how long I dip as well.

I don't target feed corals I will usually broadcast after turning the return pump off and the overflow stops. This is done after about an hour after the lights have gone out. I will does and then once mixed up in the display turn the MP40s to feed mode, but I use a variety of product and I try to vary up what I dose as well but it is usually one of these products or a combination and I would say every 3 -4 days: Coral Frenzy, Contunuum: Zoo-Blast and or Coral Exponential, Aqua Vitro Fuel, Brightwell Koral Color & Reef Snow & Coral Amino, & lastly Korallen – Zuch Coral Snow

Fish get a varied and a but in the morning and some when I get home from work of the following version of my own Fish Goo, Sustaniable Aquatics Dry Hatchery Diet, Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Pellet, Hikari Vitamin Enriched Brine Shrimp and lastly New Life Spectrum Optimum Flakes usually .
Fish my system is pretty heavily stocked 2 clowns, 3 Wrasses (Naoko's Fairy Wrasse Cirrhilabrus naokoae) (Marble/Hortulanus Wrasse Halichoeres hortulanus) (Sunset Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus pylei var) 2 Fire Fish and 1 Anthais and 1 Yellow Tang, cleanup crew is mostly snails with 2 scarlet crabs and 1 coral banded shrimp

Funny I dropped my camera in the tank yesterday it went all the way down. she's done. Should have a pic up by tomorrow.
Frags looking good, some good competition out there.

Glad I was not in the room when that happened.

That is a tough one.

Funny I dropped my camera in the tank yesterday it went all the way down. she's done. Should have a pic up by tomorrow.

Man your luck is crazy lol sorry to hear that bud

If anyone is having any issues posting pictures, let me or any bod member know and we'll get you up to speed :)

System Setup
- 75G DT, 38G Sump
- 2x Chinese LED ( I swapped some colors)
- Jebao WP-25 in Else mode
- RO 1000sss
- JBJ ATO for top-off
- Using Reef Crystals for salt

I change 20 gallons of water once a month.

Tank is fed every other day

Coral was dipped in Coral Rx for 5 minutes.

I could not get good white pics, but boy did both eyes pop under blue LEDs!

I'll stay in the contest as long as it stays alive, only my second chalice and the first one did not go very well.

IMG_20141119_225936.jpg

should be posting a pic and stats of my tank tonight or tommorow the lastest haven hard time getting a pic with eyes in it

chalice2.jpg
I can easily see two eyes under blue lights, maybe another on the edge
chalice.jpg
Here's one with more lights

Dipped in Revive and just recently Bayer. Currently sitting on sandbed. Tank is an RSM 250 with leds (blue and white). Alk 8.2, CA 400

Attachments

• chalice.jpg
    chalice.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 20141120_172029.jpg
    20141120_172029.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Here's mine. Looks like it has 2 fully formed eyes with a 3rd on the edge. The frag was dipped with Bayer.

Growout Frag 11_21_14.jpg

Currently it's in a 65g long frag tank that has a 30g sump and 15g remote refugium.

Lighting is with a 36" 4 bulb Tek T5 with Reef Brite LED supplements. Skimmer is a SWC 150 Skimmer and I feed the tank everyday. There are a pair of clownfish in the tank along with 6 mollies for algae control. Alkalinity and calcium are dosed via kalkwasser.

In this system, the only parameters that are monitored are salinity, temperature, and alkalinity.

Salinity - 1.025
Temperature - 78°F
Alkalinity - 2.55 mEq/l

A 5 gallon water change is done weekly with carbon and gfo changes done monthly.

Last edited:
image_zps88ba4b6a.jpg

Here's mine. Bad pic but I think only a half an eye. Can't even see it in pic.

170g tank
3x Radion G2s
2x MP40
Reef octopus 150 skimmer for filtration

Coral is placed about half way up in 30" deep tank. Medium flow area. Feed a mix of fish goo and flakes.

Last edited:
Back