2014 Official Boston Reef SPS Growout

Its been a LONG race, and we have a winner!

With excellent growth and persistant participation in the thread, I would like to announce bdaley as our latest 2014 Brs Growout Champion!

Congratulations Brian :victorious:

Thanks Jason.

The tank set up was basically unchanged from the start.
System was at start.
58 rr
400mh 14k 15" from the top of the water line.
20gal sump w/ECO M. mud
skimmer

I was getting good growth with the 14k but the color was not what I expected so I changed it to a 20k radium bulb. I also added a GFO reactor not no reason other then I had a spare one around. My water params were pretty much 460ca, 10alk, 1500mag, ph 8.3, Phos .01, Sal 1.024. Now for the oh no, I use a mixture of NSW from Nahant that I run carbon and an UV for a day. I also started using Red sea pro salt, I found I had to tweak the water less with the red sea over my old reef crystals. I do feed my corals (Cyclop-eez soaked in Phyto feed and use AcroPower. The tank has one pr of clowns and a pr of pearly jaw fish. Water flow from the returns and a pair of RW15s. Glued it and ever touched it again, that I think is the important part, LEAVE it alone.

IMAG0457.jpgIMAG0459.jpgIMAG0462.jpgCongrats Brian! Beautiful frag! I will throw in my (late) pics and info. I figure its important to see what has worked for some and what hasn't for others. That's what this contest is all about, learning.
I photoshopped these a little to show the growth. The original pics were horrible. My tank is about as entry level as it gets. 150g, wet/dry filter (lol), reef octopus hob. No refugium. I do water changes every 2 weeks or so. I have 3 full spectrum Evergrow LED's (without red and green). 0 nitrates and nitrites. I use reef chili 1-2 times a week.
The frag has encrusted the plug and has grown off onto the rock below. Hopefully you can see the frag has some branches (dozen or so)popping out of the frag and the encrusted base. although it doesn't look it by the photos, the color is a nice pink and lime. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Last edited:
Back