2014/15 Official BRS Chalice Growout

jason401

Non-member
A big THANK YOU to Arch from Love The Reef, for donating these awesome corals. :applouse:

And THANK YOU everybody that attended the meeting and entered the contest. :loyal:

As stated before, the members that were locked in the contest before the deadline must have been present at the meeting to pick up your free contest coral.

The contestant with the most coral growth wins. Coral growth will be measured by the amount of "NEW" eyes grown within the time period.

And here are the RULES:

- Post your setup, your tank maintenance and treatment of incoming corals.
- Take a photo of the frag within 2 weeks of acquiring it.( regardless of treatment administered and condition of the tank, no Photoshop)
- Continue to monitor you system with bi-weekly or monthly photos of the coral and status updates and changes made to your system.
- At the end of the allotted time frame we will judge the best grow out and declare a winner. Time frame will be 4 months which will be around the March 2015 meeting.
- Prize is $50 GC to the sponsor of your choice.
- Lastly have fun that is what this is all about...

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU PARTICIPATE IN THE THREAD. YOU CAN HAVE THE MOST GROWTH BUT WITHOUT MONTHLY POSTS HERE YOU WILL NOT WIN THE CONTEST. :cower:

Here's a list of who's in :very_drunk:

01. Jason
02. DBleite
03. Bdaley
04. dilligaf
05. Flame Angel
06. MrX
07. TurboSnail
08. nemodan
09. cstmpprl
10. higorc
11. gobywankenobie
12. 22engine
13. Jdmitch
14. Phinfan
15. Jamesdong009
16. Elmafsio
17. ChildrenX
18. Ba19Ma88
19. dannyp
20. skelly
21. molo41
22. dmurb
23. Marshal O
24. Cilyjr

112014-Growout1.jpg

MrX on the left, KidsX on the right.

System Setup
- Red Sea Max C-250 (~64 gallons)
- 5x T-5 (3 white, 2 blue, 1 pink)
- For flow using the built-in return pumps as well as 2x Jebao WP-25s; one on the top-back left and the other top-front right. The Jebao's are running at 30% in W1 mode.
- Standard RSM C-250 skimmer
- Tunze ATO for top-off
- Using Reef Crystals for salt

I change 10 gallons of water once a week. Skimmer cup is cleaned 2-3 times a week.

Tank is fed twice a day; once in the morning before I go to work, and once at night. Food is primarily BRS "goo" or my homemade goo. I don't normally target feed any corals.

Normally for incoming corals I dip using betadyne; this time they just got a visual inspection and into the tank they went.

KidsX decided they wanted their frag right next to mine. They will be responsible for watching their frag and determining whether it needs to be moved, etc.

Hey MrX can you get a good shot of how many eyes are on the frag :) sorry I forgot to add that above.

My frag doesn't have any eyes But it's a pretty decent sized piece so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Sorry for the lousy cell phone pic
My system is a 60g shallow tank w a mp40 and a mp10 on either side, a photon 48 led fixture, w a 150 basement sump, in the sump is a reef octo extreme skimmer, a ton of live rock, a cheato section , and a calcium reactor, nothing fancy. My water change routine hasn't been much of a routine at all haha I change about ten gallons here and there when I have time. Which isn't often!

Not sure there are any eyes on our frags either, maybe one on my frag. First two pics are my frag, last one is KidsX:

Eyes1.jpg

This pic I think might show/have one eye; towards the top right... small orange spot? Hard to really tell.

Eyes2.jpg

Eyes3.jpg

Shane - from the pic I can see 1-2 eyes -- the eyes on this chalice are at the same level at the chalice -- they're not bumped up or anything; and they're just yellow dots.

Look at the top left -- around the half way point :)

Daniel, in your frag I count 2-3 eyes. Yep -- those small orange/yellow spots are it! In KidsX frag I can't quite yet .. need a pic from top down without flash -- flash seems to wash out the eye color.

Hope that helps!

Daniel, in your frag I count 2-3 eyes. Yep -- those small orange/yellow spots are it! In KidsX frag I can't quite yet .. need a pic from top down without flash -- flash seems to wash out the eye color.

All three of my pics were top down, actually I tipped the frag straight towards the front glass, so same as top down, with no flash.

KidsX have a weird shaped frag, you can kinda see it in my first post/pics, part of the frag sticks up into the air, so a true "top down" pic wouldn't quite work.

Here goes my pictures. I believe I have 2 eyes but HELP PLEASE ARCHIT . Let me know if I am correct.

If these pics are NOT good, let me know and I will try more shoots during the week.

Tank

Red Sea Max 250, 65 G. 50 G after rocks/sand, Standard equipment. T5 and some LEDs strips for sunrise and sunset. Jebao RW8 on one side of tank as wavemaker, Refugium in the media rack. JBJ ATO

Alk: 10 dKh
Ca: 430 ppm
PO4: 0.18 ppm
Mag: Have not measured in 2 months. last time was ~1300
Water: Natural Sea Water (PETCO)
Temp: 79-80
Salinity: 1025
pH: 8.0-8.2 (night-day)

Maintenance: Water changes ~10-15% weekly (7-8 G). Weekly skimmer cleaning. Dosing pumps for Ca and Alk

Feeding: Corals (aminoacids 2-3 times per week. Phyto once a week). Fish almost every day (could be I jump a day) all frozen food. Tanks has 10 fish and is full of SPS

Cheers
Daniel

Frag in the tank : On Back black wall to the right of the picture. Middle height of the tank.

Last edited:
I have a 65 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump. I have about 100 lbs of live rock 60 lbs of sand. And more cheato than I know what to do with. Reef octopus skimmer. 2 Ai sol blues and 4 bulb t5. I have 2 jebao rw 8 pumps on opposite ends of the tank and I do 5 gallon weekly water changes. I also did a Bayer dip before placing in tank. I feed my tank once a week and never spot feed corals. I have 12 fish and 100's of snails and hermits. I also do daily carbon dosing with vodka. Nitrates are at 0. Nitrites are at 0. Phosphates are at 0 ammonia is at 0. Ph is 8.2 alk is at 9. Calcium is at 450. Magnesium is at 1400. My tank is always 78° never fluctuates

nemodan, what did u use to mount that to the glass?

First I molded a small "shelf " with white putty, the one used for reef tanks. Then glued the shelf with coral glue to the back glass. And after that glued the frag on the shelf.

I give a little angle looking the glass for pictures.

Daniel

Here mine:

The frag was treated with Bayer for 45 seconds. It lost a little of it color but from what I can tell it had 2 eyes.

My current system is a 180 gallon mixed reef. It has - 15 gallon frag tank. One of them separates from the system to serve as a quarantine tank, 30 gallon brute with a super reef octopus 3000 skimmer, 40 gallon breeder serving as a refugium with live rock and chaeto. Koralyn calcium reactor with effluent chamber add on take care of all my dosing needs. I do a 20 gallon water change ever week to 2 weeks with instant ocean sea salt.

20141116_190233_zpsvl2vzcus.jpg

Cal 400
Alk 10.0
Mag 1200
Po4 not detectable
No3 not detectable

System 180 with about 250 tot system gallon.
Flow...4x koralia controllable and 2x wp 40
Lights...4x sol blues 2x 54 watt t5
Filtration...recirc modded asm g3, 20gallon "benthic zone" roughly 350 lbs live rock
Misc... Pm calcium reactor, gfo reactor
Water changes are daily automatic and slowly changes about 1 3/4 gallons a day.
I dip all corals in Bayer for about 15 to 20 minutes.
I don't target feed corals fish get fed frozen once daily and auto feeder feeds a pellet/ flake mixture 3 times a day

System is:
58 ff (it is currently in QT in my 55 gal rubber maid grow out set up. will be moved to the 58 in 2 weeks)
250mh 14k 15" from the top of the water line.
20gal sump w/ECO M. mud
skimmer
fy14-15 growout.jpg

Two eyes so far, will get better pictures for next month when it is in the 58g.
Brian

I got pictures with only the actinic lights now. And looks like I have 4 eyes and not 2. Let me know what you think guys.....Thanks Daniel.

Sorry for the crappy pics. Cell Phone. I am buying a new camera next week or two so hopefully the update will be nice pics from what I learned at the meeting.

System
-29 gallon Rimless Biocube
-InTank Media Rack with filter floss, purigen, chemi pure elite
- reefbreeders super lux LED light
-mp10 and upgraded mj1200 return with spin stream for flow

Use reef crystals salt and do five gallons a week
- ATO with Tunze nano with kalk

Last check alk 12 and calcium 420.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416236692.824040.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416236703.275039.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416236711.907113.jpg
I count 4 1/2 eyes.