Any one want to build Euro-type skimmers together?

Ok, orders are in for Piscevore, Mattn007, Cindy, and myself. I'll PM your share of the expenses to each of you. It ended up just under $100 for all the supplies for the 6" x 24" skimmers, no pump included.

We'll see when we can get together for this. This weekend is a little up in the air, so I can't commit right now (also I'll want to see what the delivery date ends up for the packages later today). But let's think about this weekend or next. If it ends up that one person can't make it (Piscevore and I have already discussed this) then that person is welcome to work in my shop another day, and I'll try to lend a hand.

Can everyone tell me if the 17th or the 24th (sundays) would work?

If any late arrivals want to join up I'd be happy to send you a parts list.

Nate

I guess I'm leaning towards Sunday the 24th. Any chance you can make it then?

3 others can make it that day, and Piscevore wants to play guinea pig and try making his tomorrow (if the second package arrives in time).

Could people confirm that the 24th works for them, and tell me any time preferences?

Thanks, Nate

Works for us. Maybe we could let the kids play together a bit so I have an excuse to come see your setup too.

Sure, bring the kids over. Currently the new setup is empty in the living room, as I slowly get things designed properly. It has a paper fish taped to the inside, because it was confusing my daughter to have a big glass box in the living room with no "fiffees" in it.
Our "old" setup is in the kitchen (had to move it for the new carpeting job) and we are becoming dangerously attached to having a tank in that room too! Now I see how all you people end up with 5 tanks in your houses!

Nate

I heard somewhere that tanks in kitchens are bad for some reason. The oil particles in the air from cooking and that gass that comes out of teflon getting overheated I think. Don't quote me on that, I don't remember the source.

I might want in on this. I'll ask my husband. He likes doing this type of stuff. Now that you got a definite date I can see if I can find a babysitter. I might want to make mine a bit bigger though. I'd like it to handle 150+ gallons.

Kim

Any size is fine. I might be able to sell you some 6" tube. I think I'll have 2 feet to spare. But for that size you could either go 6" or 8". You can buy 3 foot lengths from McMaster, USplastic only sells 5 or 6 foot lengths.

If you decide to join us, let me know and I'll give you a parts list. I ordered on Tuesday morning and Mcmaster arrived today. Usplastic will arrive tomorrow.

Nate

Nate if you dont mind send me a parts list. (aneille @ beld dot net) McMaster is great isn't it. My husband orders from them all the time and I am always surprised we get the stuff so quick.

Kim

Ryan is going to give all this a test run this weekend, so maybe he and I will have some details worked out before the big build next weekend.

Nate

We might stick together our super simple pvc job too and see how it works if we have time. I would love to see how much better the expensive design is.

Do you mean the PVC job that I bought for, or the zig-zag of pipes that you told me about earlier? (if it's the former, I think the only thing your 8"PVC job will lack compared to the little acrylic ones is some looks. Your design shouldn't have to be any different, just not see-thru.)

No, I ment the just pvc and pvc fitting simple dirty one we got the parts for at home depot a long time ago. The plans were here
http://www.krob.com/aquarium/DIY.htm
but they seem to be having some problems at that site.
Just a simple air sucked in before the impeller on the pump one. I don't think it will work too well, but it is worth a try for comparison.

Nate are you going to try to get your hands on a sedra pump for your skimmer?

I would like to build something around the size of an 8-3. Although I may build a smaller one as well for my current tank.

Kim

The sedra pumps are extrememly expensive (at least through EuroReef, but I couldn't find them elsewhere). I'm using a ViaAqua 2600, which looks very similar to the Sedra 5000 and has similar output. They're really cheap at Fosters & Smith. I've seen various articles about making a needle-wheel impeller out of a bio-ball to mimic the EuroReef impeller. I'll probably just try it with the standard impeller at first, and modify it later, if I want more performance.

Back