Any one want to build Euro-type skimmers together?

Championlighting used to sell the modified sedra skimmer pump but they took it down. I was pretty bummed, I just went there to check the price and it was gone. They were selling it with the ASM skimmer and now you need proof of ASM skimmer ownership to buy the sedra pump.

At marinedepot you can get the sedra parts but I read on RC that actually getting the part without proof of skimmer ownership is a pain and its expensive.

I might try some other ASM dealers and see if I can find it somewhere.

Let me know what you find, but it seems the skimmer-manufacturers are really cracking down on this. ER also requires proof of ownership. And on top of that, they're super expensive, even if you are replacing a genuine ER sedra.

I found a place that lists the modified sedra available in CA, the sedra 5000 is listed as 129.00 (I didn't read anything about needing proof of ownership but maybe after you place the order??). I want to build the skimmer first though.

http://www.globeaqua.com/

Yeah, that's about what I found for prices. In my opinion, the improvement won't be that great over a standard pump, so I really can't see spending that much. Add that to $100 for materials to build the skimmer, and you're getting awfully close to paying for a used Euroreef.

I'm psyched for this build, because I fully expect to build a Euro-almost for about 1/4 of the price, so I'm interested in keeping the cost down where I can.

Nate, I'm going to do my best to be there to help/watch/complain - could you PM me your address/phone so I can plan my route? I can already see where this is going, though - I will see how much better the Euro-type skimmer performs and I'll end up wanting to build one before I ever even use my current DIY skimmer on a tank with livestock in it!

Are you lacking any tools? I can't imagine that you are given your equipment and the number of people coming to the build, but let me know if there is anything you need - chances are I can bring it (unless you say "drill press" or "5HP compressor").

Jeff

Does the name Sedra mean that the pump has the needle wheel impellers or is that an extra modification that Euro-reef does to the pump?

I guess I am confused as to if Sedra is a manufacturer, or a brand, or a model.

Nice web finds Kim.

I am no expert. I just did some web searching last night and this morning. If I am wrong on anything please someone correct me as I am trying to figure it out as well.

The name Sedra doesn't mean it is the needle-wheel pump. There are Sedra pumps that do not have the needlewheel in them. If you do a search on Sedra you will come up with some that are not modified and some that are.

So Sedra is I guess the manufacturer but there are 2 models. The needle-wheel impeller seems to be propiertary (sp) to Euro-reef and ASM. If you go to Euro-reefs website their is a picture of their impeller, it is their design.

Other manufacturers make needle-wheel pumps like the Ocean Runner, and Ehiem does as well (but I think you can only get the needle-wheel version in Europe not sure on that though).

But the needle-wheel impeller on the Ocean-Runner is different then the needle-wheel impeller in the Sedra.

Needle-wheel is just a type of impeller. But they can be different styles.

Okay I did a search on Aqua-direct on RC and they had some bad reviews. People got their stuff (albeit sometimes the wrong stuff), got it late and trouble getting service over the phone from them.

May not want to purchase anything from them. If you decide to, just be aware of what you are getting into.

Okay well I went ahead and ordered the Sedra 5000 from Aqua-direct. Now lets see if I actually get the item...

Kim

Nice. That's a good deal, I just found it this morning myself. It will be interesting to compare the results of that pump with cheaper pumps on these skimmers.

Nate

Ryan and I got most of the plans worked out on Ryan's prototype yesterday. We weren't done at the end of the morning, but we could really see where it was going. Very cool!

Thanks for coming up here to lend your expertise Ryan.

Nate, while there are plenty of Euro sytle Skimmers on the market, I hardly think any of them have a hand turned hard wood molds :)

I think we've pretty much set the stage for success!

Nate, do you have the means to accommodate Patriots fans as we work together on the skimmers on Sunday? Might be a moot point for some, but for others it is a very important game!!

Just a question... sorry for the irrelevance. :rolleyes:

Jeff

Britrover said:
Nate,
Great Project. Kindly do post a thread on the work in progress to the end product.

Yep, I plan to make an illustrated thread at the end, to show how we built them.

JWeb said:
Nate, do you have the means to accommodate Patriots fans as we work together on the skimmers on Sunday? Might be a moot point for some, but for others it is a very important game!!

I have a very small TV that I can put in the basement. Very small. like 6". If anyone has a slightly larger could bring it along.

Nate

NateHanson said:
I have a very small TV that I can put in the basement. Very small. like 6". If anyone has a slightly larger could bring it along.

Or, even better, we can just listen to Gil and Gino on WBCN. I just didn't know where we'd be working...

Jeff

Yeah, I have a radio down in the shop. And if things get really tense you can go upstairs and watch in our living room.

Back