best place to buy aqurium buckets?

how does something like this work? where do you hook it to the water system? also how much money does it cost to maintain? anything you need to replace so often or anything?

I have a faucet in my basement which I connect it to. Basically it comes with a faucet adapter which I hook up to, which runs a line to the RODI system. At the end of the RODI there is another line which I connect to a bucket which makes the clean RODI water. Also connected to the RODI unit to is a waste line, not all of the water is 100% cleaned so there is run-off. I connect this back to the drain or separate bucket. There is a pressure thing on the waste line which I allow to drip, and the clean water drips based on how much pressure I put into this line. It is easier to look at then to explain. Overall very easy. The only thing you need to maintain is the membranes, which are cheap for this unit. I believe they are suppose to last for 1500 gallons, I make about 10 gallons a week. I also use the water in my Keurig coffee maker and rice maker so this water is not just for the fish.

Use code 24506 for 10% at checkout, (BRS sponsor code)

I would change the membranes once a year:

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/MMDIPACK/Mighty-Mite-Di-Filter-Pack.html

Also buy a TDS meter to see the before and after effects of water quality:

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/HMTDS3/TDS3-Meter-with-Carrying-Case.html

Also this is a good indication of when to change the membranes.

Once you buy the system and TDS meter, you only have to change the membrane once yearly or shorter or longer depending on the initial water quality. Overall its a one-time put over $100 down but yearly maintenance is cheapo. If you are ever in Boston let me know, you can always stop by and see how mine works. The direction sucks so its best to see one work beforehand. It takes time to make water, so its rated at 50 gallons per day. so you are going to get more of a drip then constant pour of water. All units are like this.

All these units have a lifetime warranty so anything is replaceable for free except the membranes.

Check out nano-reef.com also and search for mighty mite, people really love this unit and you can see pics of it, maybe someone has a pic of the whole setup also. Also they are a forum sponsor here and in many other places, a respectable company in my opinion.

-Dominik

50 gallons a day?! wow i would not need near that much...... maybe i could sell R/O water! haha just kidding

i still live with my parents untill i can find an electrical job ( grduating college in a few days )
so when i get an appaetment i could hook this system up to the kitchen sink? this seems very convient and think im going to get it. just going to read some reviews :)

if anyone has this unit could you please post pics?!

When i lived in an apartment i had mine under the kitchen sink hooked up with two saddle valves one for the supply and another for the drain. I then ran some tubing over to my sump for make up water and also to make water for water changes.

just sold some college books for about $90, thinking of getting that RODI system....... i get paied friday.

my question is how do i monitor how much water the ststem makes? say i leave the house and only need 30 gallons ( 30 gallon tank ) i dont want my bucket to over fill.....

is there any flaws of this RODI system? it would deffently save money on buckets and .50 cents a gallon on RO water from local pet store.

It keeps going until you turn it off. So flooding can be an issue, with a big enough water jug and daily monitoring its not too bad. I turn mines on twice weekly to make 5 gallons on two days, I got the timing down to about 3 hours for each. Once you get use to it you will know by instinct. Like I said its not just for the fish, you can use it in other applications for just cleaner water.

would it be ok to store the water in a large ( new&clean ) garbage can? would it be ok to hold the water in that?

Also i think im going to set it up at my parents and keep it there permantly even when i move, i can go there for water if needed. would like to et it up in the basement. no sink down there tho. would i be able to put it doen there?

Unless you have a float switch to stop it, it will flood. I set a timer on my cell phone since I don't have an auto shutoff for when it's full. Before I used the timer I forgot about it a few times and caused a small flood. Luckily it's installed in my garage so it didn't do any damage.

I use both 32 gallon and 20 gallon brute trashcans with lids both have "kent marine" float valves on them that shuts the water off same as your toilet does after you flush it. I just use whatever amount of water i need and the buckets fill themselves.

Back