BRS June 2004 meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Hi all,
The next meeting for the Boston Reefers will be on Saturday 12 Jun 2004 at 10:00 am at the Wakefield Public Library in Wakefield, MA.
We will host Paul from the Marine Aquarium Council (MAC) will visit with us to introduce MAC and explain their mission.
Here's MAC's website: http://www.aquariumcouncil.org/

We'll have a frag swap and an auction too.

I'll post the library's address and link to a map soon.

See you there,
Moe

MAC Certification and Hobbyists
Paul Holthus

According to surveys, about 50% of aquarists are familiar with the Marine Aquarium Council (MAC Certification). Whether you are on the half that knows or that half that doesn?t, the MAC Director Paul Holthus would like to hear your questions and concerns about MAC Certification first-hand, so that you can have your questions answered and your comments heard.

Paul will update the BRS on MAC?s expanding efforts in the Pacific, Philippines and Indonesia. Hobbyists can anticipate an increasing volume and variety of MAC Certified marine ornamentals from reefs that are managed for sustainable use, from collectors who are trained in proper harvesting and post-harvest handling and from wholesalers and retailers who utilize handling and transport procedures that minimize stress and mortality.

Paul will also provide the latest on the MAC Chemical Detection Test (CDT) and Monitoring Program; MAC resource assessments and monitoring (MAQTRAC); the development of collection area management plans (CAMPs) and marine protected areas (MPA?s) and other topics that are of interest and concern to the BRS members.

If anyone has questions for Paul please post them here and/or bring them with you to the meeting. And don't feel like you have to hold back and be polite. MAC is willing to discuss any of the controversial isssues you all see at places like Reef Central or reefs.org.

Mother of all Creatures! I didn't even see this post, & it's been here for a while.
I am too late to make it today, I was used to checking the home page of bostonreefers.org for meeting date/time & location.
Have a good time, & let me know if I made it on the greg hiller class?

Meeting wrap up:

The June 2004 BRS meeting was held as planned.
About 45-50 people attended. We weren't able to deal with new memberships, as the cards and laminator were not at the meeting. :eek:

BRS news
The only news was that the July 204 meeting is still in limbo. I'll post another poll to see if people want to attend. The date would be 31 Jul 2004. The location would either be at Skyedolphins place down on the RI/MA border, or at RobboT's place in Canton. It'd be an informal meeting, and should include a BRS funded BBQ. Of course, we'd have a frag swap.

Guest speaker
Paul Holthus, the Executive Director of the Marine Aquarium Council gave us a presentation on the goals of the MAC. After his 60 minute presentation, Paul took questions from the group. It seemed there was a lot of interest from the crowd. Paul asked me to let the BRS folks know that for more information thay can visit the MAC website ( www.aquariumcouncil.org ) and can sign up for the MAC newsletter to keep informed.

Inland Reef donations given away
As promised, I brought the 2 boxes of donations from Inland Reef (an LFS that has now become an astronomy store). Most of the items found owners among the BRS members. I still do have some Coppersafe, some copper test kits, some blue tank backing, a used Advance ballast, and some small PC bubs. I'll try to give those items away in July. If not, I may just Ebay the items with the money going to the BRS account.

Frag swap
As usual, we had a frag swap. Lots of cool coral were sold or traded.

Unannounced "How to" demonstration
Greg Hiller showed several members how to make a power head holder out of a plank of acrylic. The demonstration involved a quick couple of holes drilled, and then a blowtorch used to heat up the acrylic so it could be bent. Good show - blowtorch in a library, who'd-a-thunk? :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back