Changing cabinet

Dp11

Non-member
I’ve been thinking of changing my cabinet, I have a 55 gal tank that has been up and running now for about 4 months (3 fish, and some corals) the cabinet I have now is an older one and is too small to fit a sump (so everything is HOB) so I was wondering if I would have to empty the whole tank or could I leave the rock (60ish lbs) and some of the water in it? Also would it be better to wait until the tank is more established before trying to move it?

thanks

maybe empty half of the water and get a few peeps to help. just go slow. any rockscape up high thats not stable should be secured or removed while moving the tank.

Take out everything. That two hours extra work will be well worth it IMO for the tank not to possibly crack.

-Owen

I would remove everything but the sandbed as not to radically disturb it. Even with a DSB your tank should be able to handle the weight. Your system will thank you. Dont get me wrong, expect some issues with regard to bio balance, especially with that kind of disturbance, but not as bad if you leave the sandbed alone.

Take out everything. That two hours extra work will be well worth it IMO for the tank not to possibly crack.

-Owen

I totally agree! Trying to move a tank that's not 100% empty is an accident waiting to happen. I've been in this hobby for 22 years I would not even consider such an idea for one minute. What happens when your 55 gallon reef ready tank cracks and spews 10+ gallons of water on your downstairs neighbor's ceiling causing $10, 15, 20k of damage. I hope you have good State Farm liability insurance like me. Then finding a place to put your livestock, finding new tank ASAP and dealing with an angry neighbor ALL AT THE SAME TIME might be a little overwhelming! My only advice to you is: DON'T BE STUPID! Sorry if I'm being harsh but reality will bite you in the arse!

Last edited:
I totally agree! Trying to move a tank that's not 100% empty is an accident waiting to happen. I've been in this hobby for 22 years I would not even consider such an idea for one minute. What happens when your 55 gallon reef ready tank cracks and spews 10+ gallons of water on your downstairs neighbor's ceiling causing $10, 15, 20k of damage. I hope you have good State Farm liability insurance like me. Then finding a place to put your livestock, finding new tank ASAP and dealing with an angry neighbor ALL AT THE SAME TIME might be a little overwhelming! My only advice to you is: DON'T BE STUPID! Sorry if I'm being harsh but reality will bite you in the arse!

Please don't candy coat it for me tell me what you really think, LOL,
Seriously that makes all the sense in the world, I'm very new to all this and the last thing I want is to create a major headache for my self
Thanks for all the input

Back