Electric Bill

Spaceman

BRS Sponsor
Officer
BRS Member
I am moving to my first house and plan a upgrade to a deep blue rimless 75... With a 6 bulb t5 hamilton fixture. And fiance is concerned about electric bill and put it threw a calculator and saying its going to cost $138 a month is that crazy???or sound right?

Electricity is included in our rent too, but using that calculator it looks like ours cost around $45 a month to run

Ahhhh! Roughly 20.36 / month, 187.41 / year! And that doesn't even include my salt mix pump & heater. Maybe I should reconsider setting up that second tank...

Probably $13.80. It cost me around $15-16 for my 60 cube here in NH were electricity is a little more expensvie than MA. I was up over $20 whan I had the mh with t5.

you have to remember, your heater isnt on 24/7. Find out what you pat per kWh and figure it out this way...foooor example...

I pay .150865 cents per kWh...
MH - 175w x 2 of them x 8 hours a day = 2.8 kWh
T5 - 24w x 4 of them x 10 hours a day = .96 kWh
Return/Skimmer pumps - 62w (i think) x 2 of them x 24 hours a day = 2.976 kWh
Powerheads (total) 25w at any 1 time x 24 hours a day = .6 kWh
Heater - 300w x MAYBE 4 hours a day in the winter = 1.2 kWh
Total per day - 8.536 kWh PER DAY... $1.29 a day...$39.99 a month...give or take

I dont see how you would get over $100 a month to run your tank...unless you have WAY more equipment than people are expecting :)

Nobody ever said this was an inexpensive hobby!!!! Now add in what you spend on STUFF every month such as chemicals, equipment and livestock. Actually DON"T do that or else most of us would start selling everything and changing our hobby to making origami birds or something!

mine costs about $38 a month according to the calculator. $138 seems really high unless you're running some sort of crazy system.

I have a Mag 12 pump dialed down some, 200w heater, Eshopps 150 skimmer, and a 4x39w T5 system with 2 led moonlights

It'll go down even more though since I can start turning down my heater.

Wow!! I must be lucky I run everything below in a 3 bedroom and in the winter it's 75.00 and in the summer with 10,000 btu and 2 6,500 BTU it's $140.00

Wow!! I must be lucky I run everything below in a 3 bedroom and in the winter it's 75.00 and in the summer with 10,000 btu and 2 6,500 BTU it's $140.00

Wow... I think I'm doing something wrong...

I have a 3x250 mh with Vhos 1100 watt total light, A reefflo snapper, mp40, koralin calc reactor and a mag9.5 running my skimmer and im hovering around 220 total per month

$138 is alot.i run 5 tank right now.2 salt,2 fresh and 1 turtle tank,my total bill for the house is between 175-200 a month.that's including the wife's 3 rack plant stand which is on 16 hr a day

Just ran the numbers on marinedepot...about 32 dollars a month with every thing accounted For my new 75 setup...ran the numbers last night with every thing on 24hrs last night lol

back when i had my 125 my bill for 3 bd house, boiler in winter and pool running in summer always averaged around 140. also 4 daughter who loved to leave every light in the house on. lol cant wait to get my 300 dd and see what that bill brings....

Well Got my equipment list for my new toy!!!
Lights 6x54w t5ho
Return mag 9.5 93w
Calcium reactor pumps reef oct 2000 38w
Calcium reactor feed pump aqua lifter 3w
Protein skimmer pump Bubble Blaster 2000 Pinwheel Pump 30w
Reef keeper controller
flow is 2x mp10esw 30w total
200w heater
aqua lifter 3w for ato
a Huge total of 40 bucks a month

I just took down ALL my tanks and fish stuff at the end of december. its now been 2 fulls months and my electric bill has gone down $130 a month. I figured it was about $120 so I guess i was pretty close.

I had been using a kill-o-watt to measure stuff.

180G display and about another 200g of water in the basement, (3)250w MH and 4 Actinic plus lots of heat and pumps cost me allot each month in electricity.

The end of the sleepless nights worrking about soem new plumbing I put in not flodding = priceless!

But I am sure i'll be back someday,

Back