Freaking out a little bit

I don't think they're suppose to come out of the shell unless they're changing them.
Hopefully your fish don't have a parasite like gill flukes or even cryptocaryon.
But,I would just wait and see.If you get into doing things too fast and guessing what might be wrong/treating it will be bad for the fish.

I don't think they're suppose to come out of the shell unless they're changing them.
Hopefully your fish don't have a parasite like gill flukes or even cryptocaryon.
But,I would just wait and see.If you get into doing things too fast and guessing what might be wrong/treating it will be bad for the fish.

Yea, I want to rule out any Parasite just because they seemed to be VERY healthy prior to the move They however did a new behavior that just started and I think its because they laid eggs. There used to be a fake thing in my old tank that they would go inside of and only come out basically for feeding time. But maybe I didn't notice them going downhill

I think you have ammonia burning gill going on in that qt tank.

EpicTouch 4G

Even with all the water changes? Is there something I can do to treat this....I would also agree with you and by the way there Gills look and flared out. I just feel like I am doing everything I can....I mean even prior to cycling the tank my fish were doing great in my large 44G when I first got them

This happened to me when I first started and I felt very bad for the fishes.

I end up changing water every day and dumping a lot of nitromax to accelerate cycling, I was lucky to be able to save all my fishes.

EpicTouch 4G

If you are having an issue with ammonia you can use a product called Amquel which will detoxify the ammonia. Also seachem makes a little plastic gadget that you leave in the tank and it will constantly display the ammonia level, IIRC it's called an ammonia test badge.

This happened to me when I first started and I felt very bad for the fishes.

I end up changing water every day and dumping a lot of nitromax to accelerate cycling, I was lucky to be able to save all my fishes.

EpicTouch 4G

Yea I have a heart haha, I have this purple bottle that I think is supposed to jump start a cycle or atleast introduce bacteria...Should I be putting this stuff in. While I do water changes...Should I turn off the skimmer while I do this?

Still alive! The male who was doing really bad yesterday seems to be doing better today with more normal breathing still some inflamation. Then the female who was fine for the entire first day looks really bad today and eyes look a little off on one of them not sure which is normal, My guess is female eyes are a little off. I will see her get lazy and not swim and start to almost look like she cant stand up straight then do a little swim and back to normal.

I turned off the Powerhead also so it should be easier for them in there

Sounds like that one is not going to make it.

Yea, I am trying everything I can, Ammonia was a little higher then it has been the first day I dumped some of that instant Ocean Bio Speara, Ammonia killer in with the water change today to see if that will help with the ammonia spikes. I threw a tad bit of flakes in there and they didn't really eat it but seemed a little more interested. I hope they can pull through. I lowered the temp and turned off the skimmer, so that way it doesnt kill off the bacteria. We shall see time will tell, I do see improvement in the male moving around more ect...

Is there any ammonia in your "old" water? Why are you using the old water?

No my old water had good readings, But it was "tap" water and my rock was only 10lbs I think so I needed to redo the entire thing which is why I switched and a lot of little algae was showing up

Fish are still kicking, I saw a good amount of movement from the male this morning and the Female's Gills were not as inflamed and breathing slowed down a tad bit. So I think things are on the up swing, That stuff I dumped in might have done some good.

I may try to see where my lvls are at and see if I can skip a water change....I dont want to stress them out so badly with big water changes daily.

With a skimmer on there, your O2 levels should be great. I'd second lowering the flow. A HOB filter plus a skimmer should give pretty good flow.

I tend to keep QT water changes down to around ~<10%, but I'd do it daily if necessary. Amquel+ or some such can also be used in moderation to help keep ammonia levels in check. I like to put a seachem ammonia badge on the tank to help keep tabs on dangerous readings, but it certainly shouldn't replace testing. In the meantime, if you can get a seeded sponge from an established tank to put into the QT, that'll help improve the ammonia situation a bit. Or if you are willing to sacrifice a piece of liverock for QT. That should help too.

Putting prazipro in the QT won't hurt either. But if using prazi and/or amquel (or similar), watch out for med interactions if you use something else.

With a skimmer on there, your O2 levels should be great. I'd second lowering the flow. A HOB filter plus a skimmer should give pretty good flow.

I tend to keep QT water changes down to around ~<10%, but I'd do it daily if necessary. Amquel+ or some such can also be used in moderation to help keep ammonia levels in check. I like to put a seachem ammonia badge on the tank to help keep tabs on dangerous readings, but it certainly shouldn't replace testing. In the meantime, if you can get a seeded sponge from an established tank to put into the QT, that'll help improve the ammonia situation a bit. Or if you are willing to sacrifice a piece of liverock for QT. That should help too.

Putting prazipro in the QT won't hurt either. But if using prazi and/or amquel (or similar), watch out for med interactions if you use something else.

Yea, I dropped a few pieces of live rock in the tank now I let the filter on there run a couple of days on my DT before I took it down, I guess I do have the sponges from my Canister Filter I can throw in there also to help out.

Thanks for the advice....Ive spent like 1-2 hours a day checking and tweaking everything making water so this effort should pay off

I also have the skimmer off for today because I dumped in the instant ocean stuff to help ammonia and it said to turn off the skimmer for 48hrs, I will prolly turn it back on tonight

Last edited:
Be careful when turning the skimmer off and on. If it is the type of skimmer that always contains water, that water will turn stale and release toxins into your tank unless you can empty it out first. I learned this the hard way during a power failure.

Be careful when turning the skimmer off and on. If it is the type of skimmer that always contains water, that water will turn stale and release toxins into your tank unless you can empty it out first. I learned this the hard way during a power failure.

It is one that stores the water! Good Call, I will Mt it out and clean it out and fill it back up with RODI water! Thanks for the advice

Back