How much flow in an SPS 75 gallon tank

merk1_99

Salting away
Before someone tells me 30x to 50x a hr. I already know that. I am thinking I am not going to install the closed loop on my 75 gallon. Due to increased flood risks, higher electrical costs, I am thinking of going the power head route. Specifically Seio, or Tunze. I want wide flow dispersal, and less of the concentrated maxijet style.
To be honest I would love to buy tunze. Not sure if my tank would need 2 6060's or 2 6080's. I'm not sure that I need controllable powerheads. And I am not sure that the potential benefits of controlling flow output outweigh the loss of water movement. If 2 6060's will work I also have 2 Seio 620's I can use to suppliment flow. And if I got the 6080's I still have the 2 Seio 620's for use too.
If I was to go the Seio route would 2 1500's , and 2 620's be enough for flow. I have never had a problem with the Seio powerheads restarting. Always have done a good job for me.
The power effciency goes to Tunze 4500 gph for 38 watts on two 6080's. If I went the Seio route it would cost me me roughly 90-120 watts depending on what powerhead combo's I used.

how about one 6100, so that you have the speed control. you can then supplement if need be with a seio. you also have the option of upgrading later and getting the multi-controller. with the single controller its about the same cost as two 6080's, but about the same flow as two 6060's. imo, the 6100, a powerhead to crash the flows, and your return pump, should be plenty of flow. i just feel that if your going to spend the cash on a tunze, get the nice ones that can be upgraded and controlled.

Last edited:
I'll think about your suggestion. I do know the CL is out...I need to do some research on the benifits of controllers, to make sure its worth it. If it is only for feeding I only feed every 4-5 days. Not sure I buy the argument of slowing down at night. Or using it to pulse the powerhead to create a ripple effect is all benificial. If the controller could swivel and pulse the powerhead, then I would be all for it. Right now I am bouncing all my flow off the glass and into each other.

I have a 75g SPS tank and went with Tunze 2x6000 with controller. The return from the sump is a mag9.

The controller pulses the flow from 100% down to 40% and this achieves some great random flow...

If I had to do it again I would have went with two 6100's cuz I would like the option of the additional flow...

I'm running BB so I can have all the flow I want... There are very few dead spots in the display so all I need to siphon is the sump every other week.

Good luck to you...

If you have sand in your tank, 2 6060's would make a mess in your 75. I had one 6060 in a 75 and couldn't keep my sand on the bottom. If you go with Tunze I would go with the controller.

I changed my mind also on the external closed loop.I'm putting a quite one 3000 in the overflow and drawing form the bak of the tank about in the middle down low.The return is coming out from the overflow along top and around to the front and set up as spray bar or adjustable nozzles.

Bill what will be your main source of flow. I am going to use either a quiet one 3000, or oceanrunner 2500 as my return pump. I have each so we will see what works better.

In my SPS 75 gallon tank, I have a Tunze 6060 and a Seio 1500 and a Seio 620 (I just happen to have it around and why not just use it).

merk1_99 said:
Bill what will be your main source of flow. I am going to use either a quiet one 3000, or oceanrunner 2500 as my return pump. I have each so we will see what works better.

Rick,
For now I'll be using a mag 7 but will eventually will go to mag 9.5 or similiar

I like the look of sand. Plus my dragon goby would be pissed...Plus I don't want to have to siphon fish crap off the bottom of the tank...If I went sand free I would deff. go fishless, inverts only...all good food for thought. I'm definately abandoning the CL. I will go with a combo of Tunze and Seio....

I would go with the seio's for wide, dispersed flow. I was looking at dz6t's tank, and he was showing me how the tunze pumps still have a pretty narrow (although wider than a powerhead) flow, despite the propeller they use. The seio pumps had much more of a spread out flow, without any concentration in the center. And of course, you can buy 2 seio's for the price of one tunze

My only problem with the Seio plan is they use at least double the wattage of a tunze. Since I already have 2 Seio 620's and 1 Seio 1500 I may just look to try and get one Tunze and slowly convert to Tunze. Or for the short term maybe I will just buy another Seio 1500. I really want to reduce my electrical wattage if possible. I have to say with a penductor on my Quiet One 4000HH, a Seio 1500, and 2 Seio 620's the flow is awesome. I achieved the level of flow that I want. Now I just need to figure out how to get the same flow rate but in a more effcient manner.

merk1_99 said:
My only problem with the Seio plan is they use at least double the wattage of a tunze. Since I already have 2 Seio 620's and 1 Seio 1500 I may just look to try and get one Tunze and slowly convert to Tunze. Or for the short term maybe I will just buy another Seio 1500. I really want to reduce my electrical wattage if possible. I have to say with a penductor on my Quiet One 4000HH, a Seio 1500, and 2 Seio 620's the flow is awesome. I achieved the level of flow that I want. Now I just need to figure out how to get the same flow rate but in a more effcient manner.

Honestly, the 1500gph tunze uses 11watts, the seio, 34w. Thats neither being controllable. You have to make up about a $75 difference. Thats about 3 years of electricity.

So basically, its worth buying the tunze int he first place. Its not worth replacing the seio with the tunze, because you're going to lose money on selling the Seio, and you're probably looking 4 years plus in electricity to pay it off, and thats not really a sound investment.

Honestly, if you're going to spend money to reduce wattage to save money, I'd look at that 140w quietone.

I was very suprised when looking at dz6t's collection of tanks, that none of them had a sump! His reasoning was that it was un-needed, and that the return pump uses so much electricity. Judging by his coral growth and coloration, I would say he is on to something, his collection is amazing!

Back