I'm stumped!!

SeaCilla1212

Non-member
Ok so I'm new to this hobby first off. I have a dogface puffer who is in a quarantine tank because he had an awful case of ick. So while he was in that tank being treated I decided to turn my fish only tank into a reef tank. The corals are doing awesome in my main tank but I'm very very worried that I made a stupid mistake cuz my puffer is going to rip them apart? All the corals are soft corals because I read that puffers are best kept with soft corals and they will most likely leave soft corals alone. But before the puffer got sick he was in my main tank and I had a bunch of fake corals in there and he left them a lone at first but then started taking bites from them. So I wanted to hear u guys opinion on this topic. So please anyone.....please help!?

my buddy had one in his tank last year his wife bought it and he tosssed him in that things gobbled up his zoa and mushrooms i mean it ate mushrooms like a fat kid on big macs made short work of them

I would not recommend pufferfish with corals at all. Puffers are curious fish and like to take bites out of things. Part of the reason for that is that they take chunks out of rocks to keep their beaks (teeth) from over growing. Try selling the puffer to a sponsor or anyone else with a FOWLR tank IMO.

IMO I would make a decision on whether you want a reef tank or the puffer.

More than likely the puffer will be a constant problem in your reef tank.

Get another tank! :)

Do u guys think it would be a good idea if I left the puffer in the 55gallon and bought say a 30gallon for just corals and reef safe fish? Or do u guys honestly think that would be to much for a beginner?

No, I would not advise keeping the puffer in the 55. They get up to a foot long, the same width as the 55. They need a far larger tank obviously. You could do a Toby Puffer in a 55 though.

Puffers LOVE softies!!!!! They will eat SPS which help them keep their teeth filed down, but they will devour any softies. I have a dog face puffer, i introduce a piece of rock filled with some pallys and mushrooms, and they rock was cleaned in two days. Also, how big is your puffer? Puffers get BIG, and a 55gal might not be big enough for him.

Puffers LOVE softies!!!!! They will eat SPS which help them keep their teeth filed down, but they will devour any softies. I have a dog face puffer, i introduce a piece of rock filled with some pallys and mushrooms, and they rock was cleaned in two days. Also, how big is your puffer? Puffers get BIG, and a 55gal might not be big enough for him.
He's about five or six inches. I've had him for about five months and he's hardly grown length wise lol he's grown in weight lol. But how long does it take them to get full size?

They should grow fairly quickly. Here is some more info for you on large puffers in general: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_2/puffers.htm

I would suggest looking for a new home for him sooner than later unfortunately. As mentioned, there are smaller Puffers that you can keep in a 55 (actually I think you already had one!).
Yes I did lol! They lived together since day one and got along great. Then one morning I looked and he was missing. I never found him in the tank so I'm guessing the dogface ate my valentine?

I don't think it killed it, if that is what you are asking. Likely it died from other causes and the clean up crew (likely including the Dogface) took care of the body.

In my experience with puffers (i have 3) the dogface is a slow grower, but If he is 5 to 6 inches, unfortunately as suggested my Marshall, you should start looking for a new home soon, cause at 5 to 6 inches he has already outgrown the 55gal.

I have a porcupine puffer along with mushrooms, zoas, leathers, gorgonian and other softies. He has never taken a liking to any of them. My corals are thriving.

I have a porcupine puffer along with mushrooms, zoas, leathers, gorgonian and other softies. He has never taken a liking to any of them. My corals are thriving.
Did u had at the corals before or after u added the puffer? Cuz that's what makes me nervous he's eating the fake ones now and I was gonna start introducing real corals in there. I mean he doesn't full on mow the fake ones but he plucks them here and there throughout the day.

Puffer then coral. Start adding coral slowly to see what the reaction is from him. I threw in mushrooms first then began to add others.

Puffer then coral. Start adding coral slowly to see what the reaction is from him. I threw in mushrooms first then began to add others.
Thanks so much for ur help. Honestly I'm totally new to all of this so anything would be a help.

No problem. I've been there! Just to be clear ...I have no SPS or LPS in my tank.

No problem. I've been there! Just to be clear ...I have no SPS or LPS in my tank.

I don't have any Stoney corals either. I have a Kenya tree, zoo polyps, star polyps, devil finger leather, toadstool leather, blue dot red mushrooms, and pulsing Xenia. I believe those r all soft corals?

Back