im stumped

J

jokersplayground

i cant figure out why my wife acans dont plump up. ive tried feeding(they plump for a hour then deflate), all the levels are perfect. this is what i got
sg: 1.025
ph: 8.2-8.4
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: reading 0 (i have cheato)
kh: 10
calcium: 420

so i cant figure out whats wrong. in all my other tanks ive never had a problem with them till now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the filter and a small power head rated at 240. the tank is a 9g

Lighting?
Magnesium?
I know its only 9g but try moving them higher/lower or in a different flow area.

With that small of a water quantity the smallest fluctuation can throw of any parameter :)

When you find out, you let me know. Mine don't get puffy anymore, but they still grow and look healthy.

Higor

Try tucking them under a ledge or vis versus depending the the lighting you have them in. It very well might be a light issue. That is where I go when My Acans are not happy.

I think your water may be too clean! I never get acans to grow in my tank and I think it's because the water doesn't have the right stuff in it since I'm trying for an sps tank.

I had 15 in my tank before I sold all my hard coral.

If you are running LED - move one to the side of tank on a frag rack up high 3" from top of water line with med flow or if large colony up in tank again with med flow.
You can also move a couple in tank to various levels and light and see which look the best and migrate all to that location.

When someone gives advice - we all try but - it depends on lighting and wattage, flow and husbandry.
If you have multiple colonies - it's easier to test your surroundings.

it depends on the acan as well - I have 3 frags on the same rock, in the same tank, same light, everything identical and while 2 are opened 80% of the time the 3rd is closed 95% of the time - go figure, ...

I just bought one from Frank 2 weeks ago and already have 4 new heads. I run my mag at 1450 with a lot of flow.

Mine seem to like alkalinity closer to 11 but not more than and 1.023-4 ish . I keep mine near sand bed and they grow like weeds

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401328471.383198.jpg
thats the light that over the tank.

Also since no one else said it, this is a very small tank. The first question that comes to my mind when talking nano is; How stable are the Alk, Ca, temp, and sg numbers? (How often to you add top off and or dose?)

i only need to top off ever few day as i have a lid on the tank alk drops to 10 and ca drops to 380 temp stays at a steady level of 79.6. i dont dose i just do a normal water change to bring levels back to normal. i know its not the light as my job has the same tank running with the same light with 6-7 different acans in there. the only thing i did different from that tank was put a home made refuge

Your KH drops to 10 from what number? You said about it was 10, I figure the KH is dropping some, but I'm not sure from what to what exactly. if your KH is dropping say 2 from 10 to 8 or from 12 to 10 and then you water change with water that is higher DKH and you bring it up 2 DKH or more in one shot, on a nano that can be kinda killer to the pH too and also, not great for your corals. They have no stability really, you may want to consider dosing 2 part, or kalk, or stepping up water changes to less volume more often, it's a nano tank and so the affects are noticed by all the inhabitants. That being said though, it is unclear to me what your starting and ending KH is and how much it is dropping and being raised each time so this could be more or less relevant.

sorry i was just testing my water. it starts at 10 and drops to 9. ph never drops or is high.

I don't believe that light is enough intensity or the correct spectrum. Also, agree with km1das and johnk. Stability is key with these tanks. Nanos add that much more complexity.

Back