MrX's Build (Started 03/01/2020)

Got the replacement Eheim Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heaters in a day or two ago. These are 200W instead of 300W, and about 2" shorter. I can now fit them in the sump and fully submerge them.

The new heaters are in place, but not plugged in. Need to read the InkBird thermostat controller manual and make sure I have it setup right for both outlets. Then I'll straighten out some of the wiring and pull out the old heater.

One other thing I (re-)remembered... heaters have to be "in the flow". I couldn't figure out why the tank temp kept fluctuating, then I remembered this. I moved the original heater into the return chamber and the temp stays pretty steady now. With the two new heaters positioned where they are now I think my heat issues will be completely resolved (fluctuation and overworking the single 200W).

I also ordered a couple 14" 200-micron filter socks and a new filter sock holder. The filter cup that came with the setup doesn't really fit in the holder, nor is it deep enough to allow me to put anything in it.

Not sure if I mentioned it before, but I tossed all the "Life Rock" pieces I won at FFM into the sump. Figured it was better there than just sitting in the basement doing nothing. Additional bacteria foundation, eventual pod hiding places, and will eventually use to mount frags for DT placement or sale.

The only other change is the addition of two Banggai Cardinals. Not sure if they are male/female but I've got my fingers crossed. When they went into the tank they get separated. A day or two later they found each other again and have pretty much been inseparable.

View attachment 139058

View attachment 139059

View attachment 139060
View attachment 139061
View attachment 139062

I love life rock

Was at Home Depot the other day so I picked up a sheet of corrugated board to steal @afboundguy's pod hotel idea. I'm thinking a 20-story pod sky-rise though. :D

I made mine 4"x4". I was too lazy to go back to his thread and see what size he did.

I haven't put in the fancy promiscuous elevator shafts yet. Maybe I'll work on that tomorrow. And I don't have any frag plugs, but I do have some bigger frag discs that I could glue to the bottom.

lol. I don't even have any pods yet. Maybe it's one of those "build it and they will come" scenarios.

IMG_20200425_221946.jpg

IMG_20200425_221957.jpg

Was at Home Depot the other day so I picked up a sheet of corrugated board to steal @afboundguy's pod hotel idea. I'm thinking a 20-story pod sky-rise though. :D

I made mine 4"x4". I was too lazy to go back to his thread and see what size he did.

I haven't put in the fancy promiscuous elevator shafts yet. Maybe I'll work on that tomorrow. And I don't have any frag plugs, but I do have some bigger frag discs that I could glue to the bottom.

lol. I don't even have any pods yet. Maybe it's one of those "build it and they will come" scenarios.

View attachment 139268

View attachment 139269
Very nice chief. You Teo elevator shafts for that skyscraper. Great job.

Did you know that Banggai Cardinals will "host" anemones, urchins, and other tentacled corals?

I knew baby Banggai would hide in the long-spined urchin spines from previous research (and a hope that maybe FamilyX could breed them).

I was looking at the tank last night and one of our two Banggai was swimming very near to the anemone. So close it looked like the tentacles were reaching for and touching it. I was concerned something was wrong and didn't want the Banggai to become a snack.

My shadow spooked it away from the nem and I was relieved. A couple hours later it was back swimming in the same spot.

At that point I googled and found that indeed, they will "host" near/in a nem.

Silly clowns won't move out of the corner, but the Banggai will find and take ownership of the nem. lol.

View attachment 139268

View attachment 139269

Nice!!! You clearly took more time than I did to make them look nice and uniform in size while I did not lol... Mine were only 2"×2" but my tank is way smaller...

Had a bit of a scare this morning when MrsX came into the bedroom and said "MrX, the power went out, the tank isn't running!".

Rush downstairs, no power in my office where the tank is. But there's power in other parts of the house.

Quickly look at the fish... they seem ok. Run downstairs and check the breakers; the one for the room is tripped.

Apparently the power went out at some point last night and came back on. It woke her up because the thermostat is next to our bed and when it loses/restores the WiFi signal it lights up, and the bedside light does the same (it's one of those WiFi bulbs).

Not sure why the breaker tripped, but it did, and power wasn't restored to my office.

Best we can guess is the tank was powerless for 4-5 hours or so.

Temp in the tank had dropped from 78.something to like 76; not too bad, was a warm(ish) night.

Tonight I installed the emergency air-bubblers I put together. Nothing like a scare to give you the motivation to finish doing something. I had to cut down the hard tubes a bit, they were too tall for the tank. I have one on each side of the overflow box; if you look quick you won't even see them.

The other thing I did was reenable to alarm on my APC UPS that's in the office running my NAS server. Now if the power goes out, and we're in the house, we should hear the audible alert and resolve the issue.

Quick update:

- All four fish are still doing well. When I walk into the room or near the tank they all come to the front waiting for food. Anemone and corals doing well also.

- Added a Hydor 250GPH nano powerhead to the middle chamber of the sump. Probably won't leave it there; will end up using it in my salt mix barrel. Just wanted to see how it worked in the sump. It's just enough additional movement that I can see it with my eye. The normal flow through the sump was imperceptible just looking at it.

- Added a CerMedia MarinePure Block Bio-Filter Media (8" x 4") to the middle chamber of the sump. It's supposed to help with both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria growth.

- Ordered/picked up some parts and finished up (mostly) the manifold. All three ball valves are in place. One of the three has adapters to fit/hold a 1/4" john guest fitting. Will use this for drip acclimation and/or a reactor of some type. Was thinking of getting the Bulk Reef GFO & CARBON MINI REACTOR but it's out of stock. Need to look and see if I can fit the bigger/normal size one anywhere.

- Still waiting for the first round of brown algae to pass.

IMG_20200506_174017.jpg

IMG_20200506_174032.jpg

IMG_20200507_142231.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up some more coral from @MofoCorals today while I was out and about. Toadstools, Hammers, Candy-Cane, Acans, Duncans, and some type of plating coral (maybe he'll remind me again what it was). Corals were all opened up nicely within 30 minutes of going into the tank.

Also finished and installed the manifold. The 1" return line is stepped down to 1/2", goes to true union ball vales, and ends in 1/2" threaded fittings. Right now I have connectors for 1/4" and 1/2" john guest (acclimation and reactor lines), and a 1/2" to barb fitting (for draining water during water changes).

Had a small drip in the leftmost connection; nothing a little gorilla glue won't fix. If that doesn't work I'll pick up some silicone. The 1" to 1/2" fittings from Home Depot were a smidge loose in the 1" T-Fittings. I should have slopped in more PVC glue. Oh well. Even if it leaks it's over the sump.

IMG_20200510_164110.jpg

IMG_20200510_170835.jpg

IMG_20200510_171929.jpg

IMG_20200510_172008.jpg

IMG_20200510_172026.jpg

No skimmer ?

Nope. Trying without one this time around. So far so good, but then again, I only have 4 fish. No to mention I haven't tested anything since getting past the initial cycle.

Will avoid buying one until I absolutely have to.

Added a Yellow Tang to the tank last Sunday. Still a bit skittish, and doesn't seem interested in the algae clips, but it seems to eat other stuff when I feed the other fish. I see it poking at the sand/rocks, but we don't have a lot of algae yet.

Speaking of algae, 99% of the brown stuff is gone now! WOO HOO!

Today I got my Aquarium Choice Coral Lens Filter Kit from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L26R3RT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I have an adapter and some other lenses coming from China (37mm to 62mm adapter, 62mm Orange, Yellow, and Brown lenses). The brown lens is really supposed to make things look awesome based on the Youtube video I watched.

Here's some comparison shots. This lens kit lets you screw the different lenses on in various configurations, thus the Orange & Yellow, Yellow & Orange. Didn't think it would matter, but tried them anyways.

Set1.png

Set2.png

Set3.png

Last edited:
Added a Yellow Tang to the tank last Sunday. Still a bit skittish, and doesn't seem interested in the algae clips, but it seems to eat other stuff when I feed the other fish. I see it poking at the sand/rocks, but we don't have a lot of algae yet.

Speaking of algae, 99% of the brown stuff is gone now! WOO HOO!

Today I got my Aquarium Choice Coral Lens Filter Kit from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L26R3RT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I have an adapter and some other lenses coming from China (37mm to 62mm adapter, 62mm Orange, Yellow, and Brown lenses). The brown lens is really supposed to make things look awesome based on the Youtube video I watched.

Here's some comparison shots. This lens kit lets you screw the different lenses on in various configurations, thus the Orange & Yellow, Yellow & Orange. Didn't think it would matter, but tried them anyways.

View attachment 141182

View attachment 141183

View attachment 141184
Nice comparison shots. I like the look of the yellow.

New fish came today. 5x Indian Ocean Lyre Tail Anthias (all female, one should eventually turn male). This brings us to 12 fish total: 2x clown fish, 2x Banggai cardinal fish, 1x Yellow Tang, 1x Orchid Dottyback, 1x Sharknose Goby, and the 5 new ladies.

Purchased these Anthias from Live Aquaria. They were supposed to be delivered yesterday, but UPS "didn't have room on the plane", so they were stuck in Kentucky or somewhere yesterday. They were supposed to deliver today by 10:30am, then 12:00pm, then it jumped up to 9:00pm. Seriously UPS?!?!

Luckily for me I was given the option to "follow my package" in real-time. After the third delivery time change I just decided to go find the driver on the opposite side of town. As I'm driving down Rt. 20 to find him he goes past me the other way. I realize it's our normal UPS driver as I see him start to wave at me. Of course this part of Rt. 20 has jersey barriers and you can't turn around except every 1-2 miles, and where I saw him I had just passed a turn-around.

As I'm stuck at the next light waiting to u-turn I look in the rear-view mirror and see him coming up behind me. He pulls up next to me and says "I've got a box of fish for you". LOL. I love it! Our driver is awesome!

We turn and he pulls over and gives me the fish. I tell him what happens. He writes his cell phone # of the box and tells me to call him if something like that happens again. This guy deserves a raise!

Fish are acclimated and in the tank. All 5 Anthias have found each other and swimming around together. The Yellow Tang and Orchid Dottyback are letting them know who the bosses are in the tank.

I turned the two gryes off for a little bit and gave the tank an extra feeding. Looked like everyone ate.

IMG_20200527_162503.jpg
IMG_20200527_173913.jpg

IMG_20200527_173925.jpg
IMG_20200530_140121.jpg

IMG_20200530_142303.jpg

IMG_20200530_142324.jpg

Great story about the delivery. All the delivery services including USPS are super slammed with packages now. "It's like Christmas every day" I hear. Around me USPS package deliveries are going back to December scheduling to handle the demand.

And great photos, especially the goby lounging in the rocks.

Reactions: MrX
Bought a Stratford "Rustic Rolling 5 Bin Storage" unit from Big Lots tonight. It sort of matches the stand/canopy. Wanted something a little taller, but without ordering something this was the best I could find.

Didn't realize the drawers weren't on rails; they just sit on the metal frame and you pull/push them. There are little plastic tabs that act as stoppers so you don't pull them all the way out by accident.

I plan on keeping dry foods, test kits, etc. in it so they're not sitting on my floor any more.

IMG_20200601_220032.jpg

IMG_20200601_220103.jpg

Back